Ablam Purfling

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Dan Morris

Ablam Purfling

Post by Dan Morris »

I'm getting ready to glue the ablam purfling and binding on the top of my guitar body and I have a question. I plan to dry fit the purfling and binding (black & white plastic + teflon strip + black & white plastic + white binding.) Then I will glue those 4 pieces with duco cement and tape in place to dry. When the glue has dried, I will remove the teflon strip and replace it with the ablam and glue it with duco cement as I fit it in. Here's my dumb question....... Does the teflon strip go in with the paper side up?
johnnparchem

Re: Ablam Purfling

Post by johnnparchem »

I never used a Teflon strip with paper on it. Does the paper come off?
Dan Morris

Post by Dan Morris »

This is my first guitar and I've never installed any kind of purfling. Every step is a new adventure. In answer to your question, yes the paper comes off pretty easily. Since there's an extra "flap" of paper at the end of the strip, I thought it might be used to pull the teflon strip out, but don't think its attached strong enough to do that. I'm not sure what purpose the paper side serves, perhaps its just a remnant of the process to make the teflon strips. If I put it on the bottom it will adhere to the guitar top when I glue it and I don't think I want that. If I have it on the top, it serves no useful purpose that I can think of. I'm guessing that the paper should be on the top, but I'm just trying to verify what I can without learning the hard way.
watergunn

Post by watergunn »

I have always put them in paper side up. Sometimes you can get the wrong side up if no paper is there. All of the ones I have ever used are not the same thickness side to side as they are top to bottom. They are rectangular.
I have used them that are .50 and .63 wide.

It is easy to mix the correct side up. Believe me. You will only make that mistake once!!!

I use the strips over and over again. If the paper is missing I will use a caliper to determine what the thickness of each strip is. I will then use a black sharpie to mark the side that actually should be on the top.

I have a drawer full of used ones now with black marks on them.

Also, I leave them in the channel until I am ready to actually glue in the pearl.

Rick Gunn.
Dan Morris

Post by Dan Morris »

That's the information I was looking for. The comment about the rectangular shape with the paper on top explains a lot. Thanks!
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the paper is actually masking tape. In the process to cut this it is used to keep it from stretching. Don't dry fit this gets glued in and snaps in then adjust. wipe across the pearl. I am doing a D45 and will take some pics
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Dan Morris

Post by Dan Morris »

One more question. When gluing in the ablam purfling. Is it better to: (1) put duco cement in the channel and then pop in the ablam or (2) should I put in the ablam first and then top the ablam with super glue?
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I do use CA or thickened lacquer for drop filling the pearl. I do prefer to wait for the first coat of sealer or lacquer before drop filling with CA. I found thickened lacquer works well and you don't have to worry about staining spruce from CA.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com