My saddle is located....

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
jeffrodite

My saddle is located....

Post by jeffrodite »

...in what spot exactly? Is the front edge of the treble end located precisely x2 of the distance from nut to the 12th? Center of front edge of saddle? Where? Please try and make ur response as simple as possible.
tippie53

Re: My saddle is located....

Post by tippie53 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJG5Frbu78c
this should help. In a nutshell the saddle is placed to help compensate the working length of the string to afford the best intonation . The placement will be determined by a few factors. How thick is the saddle , the playing style . planed action height and string gauge.

this link should help explain the details. One point is that when you set the compensation of the saddle per string here are a few things to contemplate. The bridge will roll from the string pressure. I like to be about 3 cents flat , as the stresses move the top this will fall in. Also you want to keep the front point of the saddle to be the focus. That way you can adjust to the rear.

We are here to help, I am hoping Rick and Sylvan post the way the locate. We all have techniques that work for us. There is some talk about compensation of the nut. I will take about .030 off the bass side of the fretboard and taper to the treble. This was I can adjust the nut for the best intonation in the first position.
I will be addressing this process at the ASIA symposium with Evan Gluck of NY. I will have this taped and will make it available to the forum as soon as possible.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

This is how I do mine with a 3/32" saddle width. The first line is the distance from the 12th fret the slanted line is the saddle compensation and is the FRONT EDGE of the saddle slot. So the first line is the true scale length of say 25.4" and the second line is the compensated difference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Benware
nehsgolfer

Post by nehsgolfer »

Everybody refers to the Martin scale as 25.4". Isn't the actual scale length 25.34?? I know this isn't much, but shouldn't it be taken into consideration when setting bridges, intonating, etc?
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

You will know you are doing it right when you can play in tune on all 5 positions. The key is that no matter you give yourself some adjustment room on the saddle. There are too many variables so give yourself the room you need.
Also don't assume the when you get a fret board is is the same as a martin scale even when sold that way.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com