Neck angle way steep?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
johnnparchem

Re: Neck angle way steep?

Post by johnnparchem »

Dan Bombliss wrote:
johnnparchem wrote:You should be just above the bridge with no frets. It seems like in you picture there were frets. So if you are getting .07 with frets without frets you would be about a 32nd off the bridge. I would be happy.

I'm curious, where did you read you should be just about bridge with no frets? I've always went by with frets on. When strung up, with frets in place, the angle should kiss the bridge, or be a hair over top. Unstrung you factor in the settle-in factor, which is 1/16th or so, still with frets in.

I'd like to read up on the reasoning behind this. What I do has been working just fine, but interested as to why.

-Dan
I was taught in a scratch build class that it should be just off the top of the bridge without the frets. Bill Cory's book says 0-1/32" with frets on. The 1/32" is almost a fret height. So both of our methods are in the range Bill states. In this case the angle is a little steeper than it might be, but the result will be a saddle about 1/32" higher than some ideal, given the situation presented I would be happy with it.
Dan Bombliss

Re: Neck angle way steep?

Post by Dan Bombliss »

I gotcha. It sounds like it comes out to about the same thing. Usually when I factor in for settle in, I'm shooting a bit higher, which is another 1/32. The no frets thing had confused me a bit. If we had been shooting for the same number your angle is obviously 1/32" more.

Different way to get to the same place.

This is what I was taught: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4983
In this cause it'd be -1/32 for frets. Or not factored in.

-Dan