neck angle question

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
dwd811

neck angle question

Post by dwd811 »

Finally working on my John Hall kit I got from John in 2008. Too many deployments behind me but I just retired so it's time to get to work on my first build. Thanks for the advice on my last post - glad I asked first! The first shot shows the height of the ruler in relationship to the bridge. The second shows the straightedge on the raw neck without the fingerboard on it. The straightedge is about 1/8 " off of the top where the front of the bridge will be positioned. The third one shows how the fingerboard sits on the top.

Could you guys look at these pictures and give me some feedback?. David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dwd811 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
David Delcambre
Picayune, MS
dwd811

Re: neck angle question

Post by dwd811 »

Here are two more shots - hope my photos are sufficient!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Delcambre
Picayune, MS
B. Howard

Re: neck angle question

Post by B. Howard »

Looks pretty close, maybe a little bit steep. With the frets on the board I like to see the straightedge plane about 1/32" above the bridge in the center. Usually about .090" clearance from the neck plane at the bridge location works well.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com