Fretboard Fitting Question. Pics Attached

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Ben-Had

Re: Fretboard Fitting Question. Pics Attached

Post by Ben-Had »

I'd ether return it to Stew mac to correct or remove and replace the head plate with one the proper size.
Tim Benware
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Ben has the best advice I agree
the head veneer is at the wrong place for your fretboard.
Good catch Ben
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
pryde

Post by pryde »

tippie53 wrote:Ben has the best advice I agree
the head veneer is at the wrong place for your fretboard.
Good catch Ben
No the veneer is not the issue I am pretty sure. The directions said to glue it 3/16" down from the nut line (which I did) and then trim the rest later when fitting the nut.

The issue is where the angle breaks from the fretboard plane to the headstock plane on the neck itself.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

actually it may be
there are 2 options when a neck is made
1 nut on slot
2 nut on barrel
In this case I suspect you need to call stewmac and speak to them. I personally would set the fretboard to the body position then adjust the nut to that. You want to have 1/4 to 3/16 for the nut.
Having made over 155 guitars now , there isn't too much that can go wrong that I didn't see. In most cases it all can be worked around.
You can also shorten the heel to slide the fretboard up to the angle. Then put the slot on the slope.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
pryde

Post by pryde »

Thank you John. I do appreciate everyone's help here very much.

I do have a call into stewmac and am waiting for a response. I will post the outcome of that here. It seams like the only real option if keeping it would be to take off the cheeks and tenon to get it lined up. I just think that will be very difficult as there is a truss rod end, and the 2 large bolts there. TRying to get exactly 3/16" off of everything EVENLY may be to tall an order.

I am going to hopefully have stewmac take a measurement from end of the cheeks/tenon up to the nutline and see if there is a difference on another neck.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I see a line on your veneer. Did you cut or glue the veneer on to make enough room from the nut line they told you to draw? If so what I suspect is that the instructions are wrong for the neck that you have and the nut line should have been 3/16 to 1/4" from the angle break toward the body. There are many necks where that is the case. Then the nuts sets on the same plane as the fret board. As John says both neck types are used.

In that case I would have Stewmac send a new neck based on the wrong instructions.
pryde

Post by pryde »

Yes the instructions say to draw the nut line at the break angle, then glue the veneer 3/16" from it then later when fitting the nut additional veneer material will be removed.

The supplied nut already has a 15 degree angle on the bottom so it is intended to sit on the headstock plane, not the fretboard.

***I did here back from stewmac on this issue, after reviewing my pictures they said there is nothing wrong and that the 12th fret does not necessarily always line up with the body perfectly. According to them everything is fine. Thoughts? Here is one more pic of where the 12th fret sits in relation to the body when the fretboard is butted up to the nut line.

Does anyone else's stewmac 000 look like this?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Legolas

Post by Legolas »

pryde wrote:Yes the instructions say to draw the nut line at the break angle, then glue the veneer 3/16" from it then later when fitting the nut additional veneer material will be removed.

The supplied nut already has a 15 degree angle on the bottom so it is intended to sit on the headstock plane, not the fretboard.

***I did here back from stewmac on this issue, after reviewing my pictures they said there is nothing wrong and that the 12th fret does not necessarily always line up with the body perfectly. According to them everything is fine. Thoughts? Here is one more pic of where the 12th fret sits in relation to the body when the fretboard is butted up to the nut line.

Does anyone else's stewmac 000 look like this?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm considering buying a pre-carved M&T from Stew Mac soon so I'll be very interested
to hear how this turns out. Are all Stew Mac necks like this?
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I would measure to make sure that the bridge patch is still under the bridge. If that is so you can just let it go. As for Stew macs answer; They gave you the neck, the layout guidelines and the fret board. It seems to me that the fret boards 12th fret should be right at or very close to the heel cheeks so that the 12th fret is at the body.

But if they are OK with it, that is the kit they are selling.