Problem with Rosette

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
bnjp

Problem with Rosette

Post by bnjp »

The dark areas in the middle ring of my rosette here are actually low spots where I've measure them to be as much as .015" deep. I don' t know if it was in the rosette before I glued it, or if it chipped when I was scraping, but I need some advice as to options. My top is currently .126" thick so the depressions are too deep even if I take thickness from the top side. Should I route the rosette back out or try to remove it some other way? It is glued with titebond.

Bryan :)
bnjp

Re: Problem with Rosette

Post by bnjp »

Just realized what caused the depressions. I clamped the middle ring of the rosette in with my go-bar deck and everywhere there is a depression, its where one of the clamps were! In an attempt to to a better job I caused myself more work.

Now...what's the best way to get it out so I can replace it? (I'll lay a book or something on top of it next time I glue it!)
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

sand it even. I don't think you are in any kind of trouble but in the future us something flat to clamp it in and use a backer ,like cotton thread to shim things up if you need to.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
bnjp

Post by bnjp »

tippie53 wrote:sand it even. I don't think you are in any kind of trouble but in the future us something flat to clamp it in and use a backer ,like cotton thread to shim things up if you need to.
Thanks. I'm sure sanding it would get the color true, but just leave the dents? or are you saying to make the sound hole edge a bit thinner than the rest of the top to get it level? You think I'd make a mess trying to remove it? (that's my inclination right now, but I don't want to damage the spruce.)
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I would follow John and sand it down. Sure it will be thinner than the rest of the top but just blend it in. You will be way happier than trying to get it out. I do not think John was questioning your skill rather suggesting a prudent path forward. Also once you finish the top the color difference you see will go away. Wipe some naphtha, alcohol or even a little water around the rosette to see what I mean.
bnjp

Post by bnjp »

I didn't think that about John's suggestion. I much appreciate the advice. I will sand it level and not risk cutting on the guitar. It's better that way because I can move forward with bracing. I see the kit as a way to learn...so I'm not too worried. I'm still .126" thick on the top too, so I've got some room to sand.