Removing Excess from Top & Back Prior to Routing for Binding

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
DavisLee

Removing Excess from Top & Back Prior to Routing for Binding

Post by DavisLee »

Am really getting excited now, this thing's starting to look like a guitar! Am at the point of removing the excess wood around the perimeter of the top and back prior to using my router binding jig that I purchased from Blues Creek Guitars and was wondering what's the safest, cleanest way to remove this excess without risking tear-out and without using the flush-cutting router bit that Dan from StewMac says he uses in the kit buildin DVD. He does mention alternatively using a knife or rasp but what do you guys think?

Really appreciate the input from you guys along the way, this guitar's been a good friend during these last few months in my grief recovery journey...have been pretty much able to spend some time each day with the project, although a lot of that time has been detours into making the various fixtures, cauls, etc., with this being my first build. Sure feels good thought to have those already fabricated now for the next guitar(s).
justrfb

Re: Removing Excess from Top & Back Prior to Routing for Bin

Post by justrfb »

Hello DavisLee.
I am new to building guitars too and I just passed the step you are talking about... It is a journey, isn't it?... It is an amazing feeling to work on the guitar for me too, more so than when I work on other projects. I was worried about cutting the excess top and bottom material too. I used a flush cut bit. It worked out just fine. Take your time with the cut and be careful. Slow and steady is how I went... Don't be too anxious to get the cut finished, little bit at a time. I hope this helps you out. Good luck.

Sincerely,
Rich
darren

Post by darren »

I've tried to trim it by hand, and the top is manageable but the back not so much - at least in my experience. I just set up the lam. trimmer and hit the plates, it only takes a minute - using the diagram from SM to guide your cuts will minimize chances of tear-out.

I don't use a flush bit, I route a tiny ledge so that when truing up the sides I'm not fighting the end grain of the top and back.

So, why don't you want to use your router for this?
Darren
dzthings

Post by dzthings »

I finished that step just a few weeks ago. I was very nervous to use a router, but it turned out to be way easier than I thought. Plus it gave me the confidence I needed before cutting the binding channels. Here's my blog post on how it worked out for me:

http://www.dzplanet.com/build-day-19-pr ... ust-maker/

Joe
dzPlanet (My Blog - currently documenting my first guitar build!)
DavisLee

Post by DavisLee »

Thanks Rich, Darren and Joe...you guys have given me the confidence to try it with the router, like you say Joe, gotta do it like the big boy luthiers eventually so why not now (nice blog by the way, great way to document your progress). I will, however, practice with some scrap pieces of wood before even trimming away the excess on the guitar and have already cut several pieces of 3/4" solid aspen panel into the shape of the guitar which had made it easier to reach with clamps and to provide support while resting in the cradle). I'm probably way too overly concerned about using the router, same as the first time I powerwashed my deck and now it comes easy. Thanks again for your support guys, hoping I'll be able to return some sage advice some day.
Tom West

Post by Tom West »

I use the flush cutting bit and climb mill all around. Others will advise you to climb mill for parts and regular mill for other parts. Pick your poison.
Tom
" A person who has never made a mistake has never made anything "
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

I use a flush cut and cut everything down the slope, then go once around the body.
Tim Benware
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I have been using a "1/4" Flush Trim Down Cut Spiral Router Bit" and get great results never any tear out. I also always cut from the top of the bouts down then once around.
DavisLee

Post by DavisLee »

Thanks for the specifics on the cutters and directional procedure.
darren

Post by darren »

Lots of ways to do things: Mario cracks me up
Darren