Has anyone used a product called Top-Strat for inlays?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
dzthings

Has anyone used a product called Top-Strat for inlays?

Post by dzthings »

I'm going to do a bit of peg-head inlay, an was shopping around to buy a small sheet of abalam. While I was looking around for better prices ($77 from LMI) and I came across a product I wasn't aware of called Top-Strat which looks pretty much the same (only $20 from http://www.inlayusa.com/pauats.htm).

Question is, does anyone have any experience with this product? I welcome any input! Thanks.
Joe
dzPlanet (My Blog - currently documenting my first guitar build!)
dzthings

Re: Has anyone used a product called Top-Strat for inlays?

Post by dzthings »

Hey there Runningdog!

I really appreciate the time you took to look at the website and give your insight! I haven't yet decided on what I'm gonna do, but knowing me, I'll probably buy shell AND abalam AND perhaps also order some material from inlayUSA. My MO is typically to try everything at least once. So I will definitely be cutting shell, but my curiosity will probably compel me to at least see any alternatives with my own eyes.

I'm still curious as to whether anyone actually tried one of those products. I did a bit more digging, and they don't appear to be as un-legit as both you and I first thought. They are more familiar in non-luthier circles - providing large lots of inlay materials for the manufacture of cue-sticks, fishing rods, guns, etc. Most orders seem to be for 25+ large sheets at once. As for the comment about the secret vs patent - it's the same deal as we use in the high-tech company I work for. At work, we often don't patent something - as it's VERY expensive to maintain a patent - and instead make a process a trade secret. The problem with patents is that it tells someone else how to copy what you did, and they are impossible to enforce even after spending megabucks. Anyway, I guess that statement didn't sound as fishy to me as it did to you.

Thanks again for your insight. If I wind up ordering any of the veneers or composites from inlayUSA, I will report my findings here. Even if I turns out that it's a rip off - in which case I'll try to prevent anyone else from making that mistake :)

You guys all rock!
Joe
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Veneer to me means major sand through. I'll stick to my sources.
Tim Benware
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the stuff is too thin and it not good stuff. You get what you pay for. I bought from them once and couldn't use the stuff.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I think Rick and I can agree that this stuff is pretty much worthless for guitars. The product is more for a surface application. I use Ablam and solid shell. Chuck Erickson's product is the premo for guitar work.
CP inlay Andy Depaule are my most common suppliers. Learn your suppliers and find the ones you can trust.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
dzthings

Post by dzthings »

Some really excellent points brought up here! I'm always amazed at how helpful everyone is on this forum.

I'm convinced now that this is not what I'll wind up using. I'll probably order a small piece of veneer (0.15mm thick) and a small piece of top-strat (veneer on 0.05" composite), just to see if they have any potential unconventional uses. It won't break the bank at only $30 for both. And that way I can report back on quality and post some pictures. But I'll focus my attention on finding a quality supplier. Since there have already been a few supplier suggestions, anybody else want to weigh in on what they use and were they get it from?

Thanks again!
Joe