Sanding Block for Stew Mac 000?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
pryde

Sanding Block for Stew Mac 000?

Post by pryde »

Hello Everyone,
New here to the forum and have just began building my stew mac 000 kit and have the first of many questions :?

I have read MUCH info here on the methods for sanding the kerfing (sanding block vs. bar vs disc). I also have Bill Cory's book as well. So, I am not going to invest in a disc at this point as I need to keep costs down as much as possible. I will be making either the sanding block/wedge (per stew mac instructions) or the sanding bars (per Bill Cory's suggestion)

I have read mixed reviews and conflicting information on the stew mac block as people state the wedges are incorrect to get the appropriate 1.5 and 5 degree sanding angles.
-Does anyone have the correct dimensions of the wedge blocks? I would cut them and then attach them to a 1" x 24" board if anyone knows.

Or, if I made the bars, would I just use the top and bottom braces and trace them on a 2x2 piece of wood? Problem here is I only have a jig saw to make the radius cut which may not be an option.

Which of the 2 options would be best?

thanks for the newbie help. I have already glued the head/tail blocks and will be adding the kerfing soon so am trying to prepare for the rim prep.
Dave Sayers

Re: Sanding Block for Stew Mac 000?

Post by Dave Sayers »

I used the stew mac method with the sanding bar and it worked well. I can only suggest that you make the sanding bar longer than you think. I made two and the second one that I use is 2' 2".
tippie53

Re: Sanding Block for Stew Mac 000?

Post by tippie53 »

here is something that is more accurate than the block, On the top the SM method is ok but the back is very problematic.
The biggest issue I have with stew mac is the cardboard form. Still with the top laying flat on a table , you want to place a stick in the middle of the guitar. This should be level with the tail block, you use this to help create the varying angle along the kerfing. With a stick resting on the pivot you can sand the kerfing this way. That will help to avoid overstress on the edge when you glue your back on.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com