back first?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
johnd

back first?

Post by johnd »

Does it matter if the back is glued before the top? Just wondering, if the top is glued first how do you clean up any glue squeeze out on the back? Through the sound hole?
Thanks
John
darren

Re: back first?

Post by darren »

Kinda like asking what glue is 'best'. :) Good arguments for each side. So...

Do what you feel comfortable with. If you do the top first, use that as a trial run to get the right amount of glue on for the back assembly. There is no real opportunity to clean up the back, if the top is on.
Darren
johnd

Post by johnd »

Thanks Darren!
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Where'd my post go? Oh well, here it is again.

I've done both but now put the top on first in case I want to scallop the top further after it's on. There are probably good reasons for doing the reverse.
Tim Benware
CavalierKingCharles

Post by CavalierKingCharles »

To me it doesn't matter, I haven't had any trouble with glue squeeze out.
I do cut the brace notches for the top and back while still in the form and before I attach either.
Learned that one the hard way...

Scott
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I will say that it can matter to a degree. I use a dish and I will do the back first. This helps to eliminate the risk of racking the body but if you are carefull it won't matter much. I do the backs first so I can clean up the back
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
johnd

Post by johnd »

Glad I asked! I think I will do the top first. I want to clean up some mistakes while the top is on the rim. The notches for the bracing could be better. I did a much better job on the back
Thanks,
John
Tom West

Post by Tom West »

johnd: If you are having trouble getting clean notches in the linings you may want to consider reversed lining if you use the regular. Much less chance of blowout using the reversed linings. I also put the top on first but both ways work equally well for different reasons.
Tom
" A person who has never made a mistake has never made anything "