tone of back

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Darryl Young

Re: tone of back

Post by Darryl Young »

rstbkt wrote:So do I need to remove the back braces and start over? Hope not because I used tite bond on those instead of white glue.
I think you are fine.

The back braces hold the radius side to side. The radius sanded into the rim (or sides) is what forms the radius in the back from end to end. So you only need the radius dish to sand the radius into the rim if your braces are already radiused.

The important thing on gluing the cross grain braces on the back is the humidity reading when this operation is done as that becomes the "normal" level where the radius is correct. At all other humidity levels the radius will either increase/decrease so the dome will rise/fall.
Slacker......
rstbkt

Post by rstbkt »

We are running between 35 and 40 % RH right now. I figure I'll try to glue them when we hold around 40 for a day or two. Best I can hope for.
Tom West

Post by Tom West »

rstbkt: Listen to what Darryl is telling you.
Tom
" A person who has never made a mistake has never made anything "
rstbkt

Post by rstbkt »

Oh Sorry. I meant I would glue the front on when the RH stabalizes for a couple of days. I'll go back aand see what the RH was on the day I glued the back braces on and try to match that when I glue the front ones on.