Progress of StewMac Dreadnought Kit Build

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
DavisLee

Progress of StewMac Dreadnought Kit Build

Post by DavisLee »

Have been photographing while building my first guitar (hopefully first of many). Attached are a couple of QuickTime movie files of the first two phases, building of the sides (learned some painful but helpful lessons on separating glued neckblock and crack repair with superglue thanks to John's wonderful experience) and then the inlaying of the rosette purflings and bracing of the soundboard.

Today, will very carefully start carving the soundboard braces before getting ready to fit the top to the sides.

Am trying to take things nice an slow while making steady progress, with the goal of being able to go outside and do the lacquer finishing once our Michigan Spring breaks, probably late April - early May.

Thanks again for eveyone encouraging input!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Progress of StewMac Dreadnought Kit Build

Post by   »

Great progress. Great videos. Great tunes.
-tommy
DavisLee

Post by DavisLee »

Thanks Tommy, just trying to take it slow and careful.

Background tunes from Tony Rice's and David Grisman's "Tone Poems" project, one of my favorite CDs.

Post by   »

One of my favorites also. Hard to believe it's almost 20 yrs old.

-tommy
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I'm building the same kit and I'm right behind you (gluing on the kerfing this weekend). I'm following the stew mac directions, but also reading up about other techniques. By reading alternatives, it helps me understand the critical issues for each step.
DavisLee

Post by DavisLee »

That's a great idea, every little tip helps at this stage, huh?
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

When you glued the braces, did you glue them with the top on a flat work board? And did the top end up with the proper curvature? i.e. did the stop assume the curve of the braces when the clamps were removed?

It's a little counter intuitive that it will spring back to the correct curve, after being glued while clamped flat. I've been looking at alternatives such as making a caul trace from the curved brace, the Ken MIchael file card trick, or using a flexible caul on the finished side of the top as described in the Cumpiano book.

Curious about your experience.

Mitch
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Mitch,
I have used the stacked cards for a 30' radius and a 15' radius on 7 guitars and it works just fine. I'm still using the same cards, so they can last too.
A very inexpensive way to accomplish this task.

Kevin