Neck Block - off center on top?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
buddy225

Neck Block - off center on top?

Post by buddy225 »

Yesterday I glued on my tail and neck block. It's a Stewmac Mahogany dread kit. The neck block seems a little off center to me on the top, maybe 1/32", back looks on center. Does this look okay, or should I remove the neck block and do this over. Thank you very much, Pete

Back.JPG
top 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Re: Neck Block - off center on top?

Post by johnnparchem »

I am nearly 60, I can barely see 1/32" . I think you should leave it. But other can chime in.
buddy225

Post by buddy225 »

Thank you John. Maybe I'm being overly cautious with this. It's my first build and just don't to screw it up from the beginning.
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

First, is the dovetail already cut in the block? If so then it needs to be on center or the neck will mount off center. Also you mention that the back seems good but the top is off center. This would imply the block is twisted and may well pose problems when the top is glued on.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Is it a bolt on mortise and tenon joint? That is what I thought when I saw the picture.
buddy225

Post by buddy225 »

It's a bolt on neck. Here's a few more pics. I think I may be a little off center rather than out of square. Just wasn't sure if I should redo the neck block or just leave it. Of course I couldn't resist moving forward and added the top kerfing. Thank you all for your replies. This forum really takes the guesswork out of building and contains so much great instruction!

top3.JPG
top6.JPG
top5.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hey there Buddy.
It is possible that your block is on center and your seam/joint of the two sides is not. Does that make sense?
If this is a Stewmac kit you are probably not building in a mold, and without a reference line for center from a mold, how would you know?
It looks plenty close enough to me, with any discrepancy pretty easliy dealt with. When you do a little sanding on the top edge of your rims to make sure they are flat and square, and you have the correct angle to the top of your neck block, the fit of the neck tenon in the mortise will be pretty easy to adjust when the time comes. Not to worry.

Kevin
buddy225

Post by buddy225 »

Thanks Kevin. I actually did buy a Blues Creek D14 mold, just seemed like a better way to put the guitar together, especially since I know I will keep building. I'm looking at the stewmac instructions and also watching the Blues Creek videos. I was paying attention to the line where the sides meet up and I glued the blocks on outside of the mold, then after the glue dried I put the guitar in the mold. I should have used the center of the mold to match everything up. I think I'm gonna have a lot of learning as I go. I'll take some pics tonight to show how it is sitting in the mold in relation to the center.
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

buddy225 wrote:I should have used the center of the mold to match everything up.
There's the key right there. I use the mold in conjunction with a radius dish that has the centerline marked on it. This is used for OM and dreds. I also have my back braces locations marked on it as well.
Tim Benware
buddy225

Post by buddy225 »

I moved the guitar around in the mold to center everything as best as I could using the center of the mold. It seems like it's pretty close. Does this look good enough to proceed? Thanks everyone for all of the help.

1-28-13 1.JPG
1-28-13 2.JPG
1-28-13 3.JPG