neck billet resaw options

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Dan Bombliss

Re: neck billet resaw options

Post by Dan Bombliss »

I would let it acclimate for a good while. Maybe cut out a rough neck blank, and let that acclimate a while, and see how it moves; twists, ect..

If it twists you can fix that with a plane, so long as it's still a rough blank. Can't really sand twist out alot, as the wood can kind of give, and then spring back.

Also, if it's any consolation, I had payed for one of LMII's neck blocks, and got 2 necks out of it. Even paying top buck for their mahogany, one of the 2 twisted really bad. Can't tell you how or why, but it did. Cut out of the same billet, stored side by side the whole time.

-Dan
rstbkt

Re: neck billet resaw options

Post by rstbkt »

I won't rush it. Have to cut my sides top and bottom. Make a few jigs, do a little dance, get down toni..............oh wait. Wrong forum. Get the wood ready to add to the neck blank for a 5 piece neck, is that what the proper wording is, I call it laminating, and all that needs to acclimate too. Start on my Kerfing and anything else I remember as I plod along. I did get the rough blanks cut. I need to run them over the jointer and do some rough shaping to establish a baseline so I can tell if they start to twist on me.

Thanks for the suggestion to acclimate the wood. I was going to start on the laminating tomorrow.