First Acoustic Build Questions

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
SSO720

First Acoustic Build Questions

Post by SSO720 »

Hi Everyone,
Been lurking for a while and am finally getting ready to try my 1st acoustic. I have built several electric solid and hollow body guitars, but never tried the acoustic route.
I am retired but work part time at a woodworking hobby store and have access to some real nice stuff. I was able to buy an East Indian Rosewood back/side set on a close out for real cheap. I recently picked up a nice AA Sitka top, and already have a supply of qtr sawn Hond Mahog and Sapele for the neck ( a job perk).
I would like to build something like a 000-28 but want to go easy to avoid frustration on my 1st attempt. Prior to my lurking here and at the OLF I never realized that a flat top actually had a radius. I'm trying not to let that stress me out. I knew there was side bending and brace making and kerfing.
I also question about neck attachment, bolt on or traditional v-groove? I've been told the only way is the traditional V-grove if you want to be a "real" guitar maker.
How about some words of enlightenment/encouragement before chicken out and build another Strat. ;)
tippie53

Re: First Acoustic Build Questions

Post by tippie53 »

you are welcome to ask any question you need. I have a series of building vids on you tube , just type in blues creek guitars , and you will find about 65 vids.
I have a vid on dovetail neck setting. Take your time and do your research. I would recommend a kit to start , that way you have a box of parts that match. Avoid ebay unless the seller is Tippie 53 or ASAA. most of the kits on ebay are often of mixed parts that don't match. That can be frustrating for the builder.
When in doubt as questions we are here to help
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Go for it, you'll find plenty of help here. And don't be afraid to build a bolt-on. My first one was and it sounds incredible. Takes away some of the stress over trying to fit a dovetail neck. I still use both but never felt good about fitting a DT until I spent a day with John Hall who corrected my technique. Now I say "no problemo."
Tim Benware
JLT

Post by JLT »

SSO720 wrote: I also question about neck attachment, bolt on or traditional v-groove? I've been told the only way is the traditional V-grove if you want to be a "real" guitar maker.
Gee, I wasn't aware that Taylor and company aren't "real" guitar makers. They sure sound like guitars to me.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

We all have our opinions and I am a big fan of dovetails . Still those of you that use bolt on's don't change on my account. I am also a martin fan , never played a taylor I would spend money on , but again my opinion .
This is why we have white and black paint . Pick the one you like and enjoy.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

While I've only built with a bolt-on (and don't feel I'm loosing any tone by doing so), one day I sure want to go to John's and let him school me on fitting dovetails. I want to know how so I can do a neck reset on a Martin (if for no other reason).

So one day I'll be calling John.......
Slacker......
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Back to the original poster.....there is a lot to learn when youbuild a guitar for the first time. Many jigs to buy/build, learning involved to voice the top and back, learning to do inlay, doing binding/purfling for the first time, etc, etc.

It's not a bad idea to use a bolt-on on your first build just so you don't have to tackle everything on one build. Also not a bad idea to purchase your first neck and focus on the body for your first build. If you are retired, not as big a deal as you have a lot more time to try things. If you are doing this on the side (and especially if you still have kids at home) it can take a long time to complete your first one......thus the recommendation to to purchase a premade neck. You will still have to fit the neck to the body and fit the neck to the soundboard, and may have to trim the headstock to the shape you want it.
Slacker......
SSO720

Post by SSO720 »

I appreciate everyone's input and comments. I will most likely do a bolt neck to start, just for the experience. Will see what follows.
I am "retired" but work a hobby job @ a woodworking store 4 days a week, so time does matter. Thankfully, no kids at home. My 1st chore is to finish 2 electric builds I have on the bench currently. I also have a commission for a bass build for a player in Houston. I'm waiting on the wood for that build. I will be using a 2Tek bridge.
I sit and read my acoustic book at night trying to understand everything. I need to thickness sand the IWR and glue up the back and front. Then start laying everything out and buying "stuff" for this build.
There is no doubt I will be looking for advise in the near future so stay tuned.
Paul