Fretboard Flush to Neck Issue

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
stevemac00

Fretboard Flush to Neck Issue

Post by stevemac00 »

When I attached my fretboard to the neck I scraped and sanded so the transition was smooth.
Martin000_IMG_4732.jpg
I taped the side of the fretboard before finishing the mahogany neck so the ebony fretboard was lacquer free.
Martin000_IMG_4749.jpg
After ten coats of Behlen Stringed Instrument Lacquer over a month as anyone would guess the finish was built up to several mils thick. When I sanded this down flush there are some areas without lacquer and I'm perplexed about what to do. (See photo. Note the ebony has not been cleaned yet from the wet sanding.)

I suppose I'll spray a thin coat of lacquer but that will eventually wear off from playing. In retrospect I would leave the fretboard slightly oversized as it could always be filed down later and fret ends dressed but I wonder how the veteran builders approach this issue.
Martin000_IMG_4785.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B. Howard

Re: Fretboard Flush to Neck Issue

Post by B. Howard »

I think you will find that most of us finish the edges of the neck and fretboard right up to the playing surface. Most major manufacturers also finish the fret board surface as well, I do not. This is one I sprayed last week waiting to be buffed. I will pull the masking tape and scrape anything that crept in at the edge with a razor, finish filing the fret edges and it's done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
stevemac00

Post by stevemac00 »

Ah. Thank you. I didn't know the edge was finished. That definitely makes more sense as you can now have a rounded edge on the finish. I should be able to mask and add a few coats with the Preval.

What is that masking tape on the fingerboard? I might get the plastic detailers tape which conforms to rounded objects better than paper tape.
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

I use 3Mmasking tapes that I get from my local auto re-finish supplier. They come in a variety of widths that can be used to masks bindings when shading and such a well as fret boards. The important consideration is that they are solvent proof and rated for lacquers. Most general purpose tape is not, it has been engineered to work with water based products. You can have a real mess if your tape doesn't resist the lacquer.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com