Purfling issue

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
tnt2002

Purfling issue

Post by tnt2002 »

I can't believe I didn't see this while I was gluing/taping. It looks like part of the back purfling is down, under the binding strip.

Not sure how to fix this. Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: Purfling issue

Post by tippie53 »

is this wood or plastic ? Plastic is easy get to the end and with a pin you should be able to lift it out and reglue. Worse case is take out and redo .
2nd option you can nip the 2 ends pull out the bad area and reglue. the joint should be hard to see.
3 rd option is to rout out and redo. .

It happened to most of us so you are not alone.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Yeah, that's a bummer. I have successfully manged to gently heat things up enough to soften the glue and fish the purfs back to there rightful position with a dental pick and quickly retape. As long as the binding is flush with the rim, if it is pushed out a bit by the purfs behind it may never lay out flat as it will be a tad to long.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
tnt2002

Post by tnt2002 »

Thanks for the advice guys. I applied some heat and dug the purf out. It got a little mangled in one spot because it kind of fused with the binding strip. So I cut a short purfling strip and spliced it in. My phone won't connect to the computer right now, but I'll post a picture after I take off the tape tomorrow.

Thanks again!
tnt2002

Post by tnt2002 »

I dug the purfling out, but since it was fused to the binding, both the binding and the purf took a beating.
20121215_135842.jpg

Then I spliced a replacement purf in. It looks fine, but there's some defects on the binding. This will be my guitar, so since I'm also imperfect, I can accept this.
20121219_181942.jpg
again, thanks for the advice.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post by   »

Tom,

Looking at the pictures, I wouldn't know about the mistake if you hadn't mentioned it. Looks fine to me. Good work.

-tommy
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

NCIS
Nice
Creative
Ingenious
Save
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center