First Build: Round Vs. Square Bridge Corners?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
jgillan3

First Build: Round Vs. Square Bridge Corners?

Post by jgillan3 »

Hello all. I am building a OOO stew mac kit and its time to put the bridge on. An idea i had was to slightly round off the corners (it comes w/ a rectangle bridge) to create an oval like shape as i think this will look cool. One thing i've noticed in thinking back over the years is that you rarely, if ever see a bridge that doesn't have sharp corners in some shape or another. I'm wondering if there is something that i don't know here.
My question is this:
Is there something about squared corners (acoustics and/or stability) that makes it superior to round corners? Or is this just the way things have worked out and my oval bridge will be fine.

Thanks for any wisdom from people more knowledgable than me
Jim
Darryl Young

Re: First Build: Round Vs. Square Bridge Corners?

Post by Darryl Young »

Round over the top side of the bridge all you want......but don't round over the bottom where the glue surface is reduced or you will have an increased chance of the bridge pulling away from the top. Also, if you round over the front of the bridge very much you run the risk weakening the area in front of the saddle where it might split. The sides and back of the bridge on top are fair game.
Slacker......
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I think it is about production
square easy
costs less
design away
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
darren

Post by darren »

Aren't square edges stress risers anyway? (nevermind that the bridgeplate is on the other side...)

I'd make a cardboard/paper mockup of a guitar top with your oval bridge on it, hang it on the wall, and stare at it for a week. If you still like it, knock yourself out.

I've designed and hung up some inlay art on the fridge several times, mocked up over a headstock shape. I never like it after a week. :(
Darren
jgillan3

Post by jgillan3 »

thanks for the tip on the mock up. i'll definitely try that
darren

Post by darren »

Saw this last night - cnc'd oval bridge. http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/view ... 38#p500138
Darren