Bridge Plate Question

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Ioni

Bridge Plate Question

Post by Ioni »

Greetings-
Curious about the wisdom of tucking the bridge plate edges into notches in the x-braces... Seems like you could make a good case to do this - firmly attaching the plate to the braces would transmit the plate vibrations to the edges of the soundboard. On the other hand, it would make the bridge plate more massive. The Stew Mac kit directions seem to call for a teeny tiny space between the edges of the plate and the braces. Would appreciate any advice!
Thanks
Ioni
tippie53

Re: Bridge Plate Question

Post by tippie53 »

this is how the pre war Martins were done. They did stop doing it that way. In the older days the the glues weren't as good as todays. There is no reason not to do it. When I make replicas of the pre war guitars I notch all the braces in the top X braces.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Tom West

Post by Tom West »

Ioni: I think it makes a small bit tighter top that is a bit more stiff then if not tucked. Thus one may be able to reduce the braces a extra small amount.This may also be more inducive to having the top vibrate as a whole as compared to non tucking. To me it's not something that is going to make or break the outcome of the guitar. The bigger advantage is that one can have a bit more assurance that brace ends are not going to come lose due to some trama.Tucking is just one of the many things that can have some influence on tone. But can it be measured...........I'm not sure and I only tuck the ends of the X and the UTB.
Tom
" A person who has never made a mistake has never made anything "
Ioni

Post by Ioni »

Thanks Tom & John- appreciate the advice!!!!!
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

I doubt this has a big impact on tone.......or durability for that matter (but if I had to pick one, I would go with durability over tone as it would be more difficult to pop the plate loose by a blow against the top).

In my small and twisted mind, unless you have a glue failure there is no difference between using an untucked bridge plate and a tucked bridge plate. This assumes that the bridge plate is glued to the top AND glued to the X-brace. I would advise against leaving a gap between the edges of the bridge plate and the X-brace.........fit the bradge plate so it touches the X-brace all the way (front to back) with no gap anywhere.......then glue the plate to the top and glue the edges of the plate to the X-brace. At least that's what I do.
Slacker......
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

tucking the bridge plate will add a bit of structure as you get a better tie in to the X bracing. I agree that it may be more trouble that it is worth but if you use the proper maple for the plate and are sure your ball ends are mated when restringing the plate should out last the owner
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com