Truss rod

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Zen

Re: Truss rod

Post by Zen »

Just found a set of feeler guages and heres the story
Capo on first fret and fingered the 13th. I can just slip in the 0.25 at the 6th fret.

Without the capo theres 4/32 at the 6th fret and 5 /32 at the 12th fret
RUSTY
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Zen wrote:Just found a set of feeler guages and heres the story
Capo on first fret and fingered the 13th. I can just slip in the 0.25 at the 6th fret.

I assuming you mean .025. I think the neck is bent too much. I would set the relief as described below. Back off on the truss rod. To fix the intonation I would look at where your strings are breaking on the nut and saddle. Intonation is affected by the length of the strings relative to the position of the frets.
Zen

Post by Zen »

johnnparchem wrote:

I assuming you mean .025. I think the neck is bent too much. I would set the relief as described below. Back off on the truss rod. To fix the intonation I would look at where your strings are breaking on the nut and saddle. Intonation is affected by the length of the strings relative to the position of the frets.

No --its 0.25 with the feeler gauge ?
RUSTY
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

simple question
is this a 2 way rod and are you sure you turned it the right way?
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Zen

Post by Zen »

tippie53 wrote:simple question
If you mean is it a 2 way rod similar to whats included in the stew mac kits then no its not one of those. I am also building a kit from stew mac and its a red two -way rod thats enclosed ,whereas the one in this guitar is a straight rod enclosed in a metal casing and yes its fitted correctly as far as i know
RUSTY
Zen

Post by Zen »

Zen wrote:
tippie53 wrote:simple question
If you mean is it a 2 way rod similar to whats included in the stew mac kits then no its not one of those. I am also building a kit from stew mac and its a red two -way rod thats enclosed ,whereas the one in this guitar is a straight rod enclosed in a metal casing and yes its fitted correctly as far as i know

Should have explained it is enclosed in an aluminum U-channel as well
RUSTY
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Zen wrote:
johnnparchem wrote:

.25 is 1/4", 8/32. That sound way high.
Tim Benware
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Zen wrote:
johnnparchem wrote:

.25 = 8/32 is 2x higher than the 4/32 you got with the capo on.
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Zen wrote:
I put a capo on the 1st and finger the 13th -low E- as Brian said and theres very little play at the 6th -in fact I couldnt measure it but the string moves slightly when I tap it

Rusty
OK, based on this description it is not .25" (1/4") and I doubt it is .025" as that is just under 1/32" and would most likely be measurable with a machinists ruler. My set of feelers has a .0025" gauge and that seems to make sense based on the above description and the initial statement of having "tightened the truss rod all the way". So I would suggest backing off the truss rod while carefully measuring until you obtain the proper relief, then we can tackle the rest of the set up and work on the action. Proper action will go a long way towards helping intonation.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Have pondered this a bit more here, and just to confirm my previous thoughts the feeler gauge you are using when you get the .25 measurement is real thin and flimsy? or is it thicker like the tip of a small screwdriver?
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com