Wood Grades

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
tommy_gpl13

Wood Grades

Post by tommy_gpl13 »

Hello all,

I am looking to build a guitar using a Sitka Spruce top and soundboard, but I am a little confused about the grading system used for the types of spruce. So far, all I can tell is that the higher the grade, 4A/5A, the tighter grains and a more even color throughout. While the lower grades, 3A/2A, seem to have a slightly wider grains (with maybe a little inconsistency) and some slight discolorations.

How much can something such as a wider grain affect the overall tone of the guitar (for instance a 5A vs a 2A)? Does discoloration have any affect at all on the sound?

Any advice on this topic will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Wood Grades

Post by   »

The GAL book, Lutherie Woods and Steel String Guitars answered all the questions I had on the subject.
Probably the best $28 I've thrown at a book of that ilk.

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproduc ... +%26+Olsen

-tommy
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Once you get above A grade things become very subjective. One suppliers 3A may be the same as anothers 5A or Master grade. One thing you can't see in the pics that should be taken into account when grading is run-out. Higher grades should have less run-out. Discoloration will generally not effect tone much. The width of the grain can, but can be compensated for by making the top a bit thicker. My thoughts are basically that better grade wood works easier because it is more consistent and that leads to better sounding instruments.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

As pointed out grading for the most part is subjective. Depending on the top wood , some spruce , grain width isn't going to hurt. Some it won't. I use deflection testing and have found no real correlation to grain width and stiffness , often it seems wider may be stiffer. What matters most is that you find a supplier that is consistent in grading.
I am loyal to my suppliers that treat me fair. In the past I had one that was excellent at first , then the wood quality started to fall. When I questioned him about this he told me he was looking at what I would or would not accept. I never ordered from him again.
For small orders you won't go wrong with RC Tonewoods.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

tippie53 wrote: you won't go wrong with RC Tonewoods.
+1
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
Tom West

Post by Tom West »

A lot of processers grade based on visual qualities. A few will grade both for visual and tonal. Would love to see a dual syatem ie AAA for visual but AA for tonal, especially for us poor saps who can't pick out our wood in person. The one saving grace is finding a processor who you can trust and talk to him in regard to your requirements.
Tom
" A person who has never made a mistake has never made anything "
dofthesea

Post by dofthesea »

You can't go wrong with Bob at RCtonewoods. LMI is a good source as well but a bit expensive.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Yeah, as said above.....the gradeing system is mostly for looks. It doesn't tell you how well quartered it is......or how much runout (which are very important in my opinion). Knot shadow, compression grain, discoloration, etc. probably all affect the grade. An off color doesn't seem to affect the tone.

Grain width doesn't seem to correlate with stiffness. Many folks think this is important but except for visual impact, I don't think it affects the tone (my opinion). And if it doesn't make the top weaker, then no need to leave it thicker (which would impact tone).
Slacker......