simple neck question

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
wildthing423

simple neck question

Post by wildthing423 »

what is the difference in a bolt in and bolt on neck? In this case google , was not my friend...searching "bolt-in neck" only returned bolt on neck subject matter. I am finding it difficult to get answers, through google to what I consider basic questions.

thanks

Mark
tippie53

Re: simple neck question

Post by tippie53 »

Are you talking about about a neck that has an anchor bolt? The 2 that I can think about are bolt into and bolt in the neck , both are considered bolt on necks. There really isn't a difference in the necks other than one , you tighten a nut to the bolt in the neck and the other you tighten a bolt to the threaded insert in the neck.
I hope this is the information you were looking for.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
wildthing423

Post by wildthing423 »

tippie53 wrote:Are you talking about about a neck that has an anchor bolt? The 2 that I can think about are bolt into and bolt in the neck , both are considered bolt on necks. There really isn't a difference in the necks other than one , you tighten a nut to the bolt in the neck and the other you tighten a bolt to the threaded insert in the neck.
I hope this is the information you were looking for.

actually, I cannot play guitar or anything else for that matter, but I have been studying the history of musical instruments for 30 years. Now I have been forced into retirement being currently treated for CA and I have chosen to learn guitar. I have been looking at a guitar kit and wanted to modify it if I buy it to build and make it a guitar with 6, 8 or ten strings in matched octaves, like a cuatro, bajo sexto etc. It was suggested to me to modify a kits neck and a small conversation came up about "through neck, bolt on neck , bolt in neck and set necks. this is why I ask. I can find info on neck through, and bolt on and set necks but not bolt in.

Mark
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I have been building for about 14 yrs and not heard of bolt in neck , maybe someone here may have and can help
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Bolt in - Bolt on. You say poTAto, I sat poTATo. Same thing I think.
Tim Benware
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I have seen neck designs that in addition to the heel bolts also have a bolt on fret board extension. This allow one to take the neck off and on. Trevor Gore does this. His fret boards are raised from the body.
wildthing423

Post by wildthing423 »

johnnparchem wrote:I have seen neck designs that in addition to the heel bolts also have a bolt on fret board extension. This allow one to take the neck off and on. Trevor Gore does this. His fret boards are raised from the body.
Thanks all. I was just trying to find an example of this as an email from a kit supplier said there are set necks, bolt on necks and bolt in necks without any further explanation.

Mark
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

That guy made no sense , all necks need to be "set" I think you are pairing bolt on with bolt in , same church different pew.
The taylor joint uses a bolt on neck and a bolt on the extension. Other bolt on necks may glue the extension while the Martin design requires a glued joint with the bolt.
Feel free to call me , I think we can help
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
wildthing423

Post by wildthing423 »

tippie53 wrote:That guy made no sense , all necks need to be "set" I think you are pairing bolt on with bolt in , same church different pew.
The taylor joint uses a bolt on neck and a bolt on the extension. Other bolt on necks may glue the extension while the Martin design requires a glued joint with the bolt.
Feel free to call me , I think we can help

Tippie53,

should probably explain...I am getting chemo now and am forced into retirement, so several projects presented themselves, as people started giving me gifts recently, birthday, and knowing how much I like music and wanted to learn to build as well as play instead of listen and that I know was home bound temporarily . One of the gifts was an lp single cut kit. How ever, I am more interested in cbg guitars and tenor guitars, so I went in search of a way to mod a neck to fit a lp or lp junior body to only four strings and came across this place that after checking today is no longer updated. It had no pics and just kept going on and on about bolt on and bolt in and described a set neck as a glued on neck, so with all the info I was finding, none of it about necks and modding Ijust wasnt sure what the heck this guy was talking about so asked here. really I want to take this kit and somehow just make it a tenor straight up . .

I hope that clears it up.

mark
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

seems that there is a miscommunication in terminology
He may mean
Set neck ( glued in )
bolt on
Doweled

Can be confusin to start. My best advice is that you need to figure out what exactly you want. I would say to find a complete kit without too much modifications. It can be difficult on your first one. We can all help so ask all the questions you need , we are here to help
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc