Neck to body Alinement

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Sunflash

Neck to body Alinement

Post by Sunflash »

So, ran into another problem today...
I've been working on getting the neck properly alined to the body, but I can't seem to get this last little bit to come together.
In the second photo you can see how much of a gap I have between the fretboard and the body. I've been following the books instructions on how to fix this but I've taken so much out already, as you can see in the first photo, it was a lot worse.
Anyone know if Im doing this wrong or should I keep taking that wood out?
Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sunflash

Re: Neck to body Alinement

Post by Sunflash »

0.0221 above the bridge.
Sunflash

Post by Sunflash »

Do, I keep chiseling away? until I get It flat or is there something else going on? using the calculations from the book i need like .0073 or something (have it written out in the shop) of the wood to take out.
Tom West

Post by Tom West »

Isaac:Was that measurement .0221 or .221.....??? I would be looking for about .060 to .070 over the height of a bridge that is approx. .375 thick. If your measurement was .221 then you have to adjust the angle on the neck. If the measurement was .022 then that means a different approach. Get back with a confirmation on the measurement.
Tom
" A person who has never made a mistake has never made anything "
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Sunflash wrote:0.0221 above the bridge.
So a straight edge on the fretboard ends up .0221 above the bridge? Almost touching. If so I would not not change the angle very much. You want to be just over the bridge. It looks like yhou will still have a gap at the right angle. I would consider placing a wedge under the fretboard to fill the gap as you have close to the right neck angle.
Tom West

Post by Tom West »

John: I see he put .0221 there but not sure that is right. Measuring to a tenth of a thou in metal is hard,not sure it can be done in this situation. On the other hand if it is .221 then he may be right in the ball park when he corrects neck angle. I just have a hunch its .221.
Tom
" A person who has never made a mistake has never made anything "
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Tom West wrote:John: I see he put .0221 there but not sure that is right. Measuring to a tenth of a thou in metal is hard,not sure it can be done in this situation. On the other hand if it is .221 then he may be right in the ball park when he corrects neck angle. I just have a hunch its .221.
Tom
I agree. I you are up a 1/4 inch; changing the angle so the fretboard is flat will be close to the right angle.
Sunflash

Post by Sunflash »

Sorry, I see I put 0.0221 on there and now I am unsure so I have to check. I won't be able to check until tomorrow. But it is above the bridge quite bit.
Sunflash

Post by Sunflash »

Ok, it was .221
I had done some work well waiting for an answer so I checked it again today and it is at .206 above the bridge. and I still have the gap between the last few frets and the body.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Sunflash wrote:Ok, it was .221
I had done some work well waiting for an answer so I checked it again today and it is at .206 above the bridge. and I still have the gap between the last few frets and the body.
You need to change the angle so that a straight edge flat on the fret board frets 1-12 is just above the bridge. So you still have to take it down .14" inches or so.

One way to figure do this is two take 2 measurements one from where the fretboard hits the body to the front of the bridge; call that A. And then from the back of the fretboard to the end of the heel call that B.

We will call C the amount you need to take off of the heel cheeks near the fretboard. C = .14" * (B/A)

On the heel right at the fret board mark up the distance C. With a straight edge draw a line on each side from the mark to the end of the heels tail.
That should give you the angle that you need to get your heel cheeks to.

Having said that, check the whole time you take off wood. But basically you need to take off wood near the fret board end of the heel cheeks leaving the tail end the same.