first build: dremel vs. router for binding?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
jgillan3

first build: dremel vs. router for binding?

Post by jgillan3 »

Hi yall.
just closed the box on my first build (yay!) and its time to bind this baby. I'm doing a stewmac ooo. I own a dremel 4000 but have access to a router via a friend. The general concensus in an online search appears to be that a router is better for binding channels. What has been other peoples experience using a dremel for this?
Also, i'm open to purchase a base from stewmac (router or dremel). What are peoples thoughts on these?

Thanks
Jim
johnnparchem

Re: first build: dremel vs. router for binding?

Post by johnnparchem »

The routing channel for the binding needs to be clean and square. If you guitar has radiused top and/or bottom it will be hard to keep the stewmac base square to the sides.

I like using a router with a router bit and bearing set from LMI or stewmac and some sort of routing jig that keeps the router square to the sides.

I did do my first two guitars with the bearing set and a colt router. I placed shims in the back of the router plate to get an angle that matched my top and then more shims to match my back.
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

I have a dedicated binding set up. The guitar body is held in a cradle and a router is mounted on a special carrier. But before that I used a router with an edge guide and a tapered base plate made from a scrap of plywood. I kept it square by eye. Though I could have done the same thing with a dremel if I had wanted to. So it comes down to which tool provides you the greatest level of comfort and confidence. I can also recommend the SM precision dremel base as a worthwhile investment if you intend to keep building. I use mine for everything from inlay work to cutting brace pockets in the kerfing.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
darren

Post by darren »

I use a router and bearing set and a few wedged base plates from scrap. One for the top and the back from tail to apex of upper bout, another wedge for the rest of the back. It does take some skill but that's ok with me. If it doesn't require skill we're just pushing wood through machines.

If the friend has a router with a tilt base that would eliminate the shims/wedges.

I tried my first with a dremel and swore never to do it again.
Darren
rustyjuggler

Post by rustyjuggler »

I have also built the 000 from StewMac and I used a Dremel with a router bit and router base from StewMac. It was fine, the biggest problem was to get it to the correct angle since the back is angled so it should be flat on the side, but I guess I would have that problem with a normal router aswell. Now I have bought a router and a binding base from Kenneth Michael Guitars and will use that for the next guitar, but I have not tested it yet.
watergunn

Post by watergunn »

I have used the KMG attachment on the three that I have built. Just take your time and it will be fine.
jgillan3

Post by jgillan3 »

Thanks everyone, that is great input. I'm pretty nervous about this step, it's my first guitar and first woodworking project ever. I've never even touched a router in my life. This seems like the first step in this process that i can really screw the whole thing up significantly. Wish me luck, here I go!
watergunn

Post by watergunn »

Relax. It gets easier each time that you do it.
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Sine it is your first time with anything like this I would recommend practicing on some scrap for a while till you get the feel of it. Also, be careful. Safety first. Guitars can be rebuilt or replaced, fingers not so much.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Obviously, find some scrap wood and practice, practice, practice FIRST!
Tim Benware