Truss rod question

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
hummingbird

Truss rod question

Post by hummingbird »

I'm about to glue my fretboard on and I've been wondering about the truss rod. I assume that when I adjust the truss rod it braces itself against the bottom of the fretboard to force the neck to bend up or down. That seems to me to be a lot of force. Does the fretboard glue joint actually take all that force. Is it strong enough? It seems to me that it could easily pop off.
Alain
johnnparchem

Re: Truss rod question

Post by johnnparchem »

There sure are a lot of guitars that are out in the world that shows that it works; the fret board does not pop off. There is a lot of surface area for the glue joint. The force against the joint it is somewhat distributed.
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Ya that's true. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Should I put a piece of wood over the truss rod channel so it sits flush with the fretboard?
Alain
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I have placed a strip of wood in the slot and planed it flat to the neck, but only when I was a bit deep. Normally I run a bead of silicon chaulking down the center of the slot to keep it from rattling.
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

A lot of times it comes down to the design of the rod as to whether it should be capped or not. Most one piece single action rods like Gibson uses need capped, most double action rods do not. That said you of course can always cap one if you choose for whatever reason but I don't think it will have any bearing on function or longevity. I use the SM hotrods with no cap and no problems.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I think it depends on the design of the rod being used. The designs may be similar but there is a big difference between the stew Mac and Martin design. I use the martin style. I have used caulking and just a layer of tite bond to fill the voids. Both seem to work fine.
Personally , if the neck is well built you really don't need the 2 way rod. In 13 years the only necks that I saw that needed forward adjustments were ones on hand quilts that were not done properly. I love stiff necks and use tee bars on some of my guitars with compression fretting.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Tom West

Post by Tom West »

I use the Martin design and epoxy it into the slot. This gives a very stiff neck and transfers force directly to the neck wood.
Tom
" A person who has never made a mistake has never made anything "
David L

Post by David L »

I run a bead of silicone caulk in the bottom of the truss rod trench for rattle prevention.

David L