Back Bracing

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
RnB

Back Bracing

Post by RnB »

What are going to be the differences in bracing Modern vs. Golden Era on the backs...other than size? I have a couple sets of Adi GE bracing that I got from John & I'm trying to decide whether to use it or go w/ regular style bracing. It will going be on an Rwd OM w/ a cutaway (yes, another one). Will there be noticeable changes in sound or does it merely have more to do w/ added strength?
tippie53

Re: Back Bracing

Post by tippie53 »

The modern bracing is higher and stiffer. The older vintage has the lower 2 braces wider and flatter. This lets the back get more involved in the voice of the guitar
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
RnB

Post by RnB »

So the layout/spacing would be the same for both types? Proportionalize the distances between the two lower braces from brace #2 to tailblock. Since I have the GE bracing on hand, I'd like to use it. I believe they are radiused to 20' ? At least, that's what they look like in my dish.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

That is correct. location is the same
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
RnB

Post by RnB »

Thanks J...

I got the GE back braces glued-up & ends tapered down to 1/8". I have a couple of disc's (actually 3). I know the 28' is for the top, & the other 2 are are 15' & 20' respectively, for the back. I used the 20' for support when I glued the GE braces in-place yesterday. Which disc should I be using to true up the back of rimset...? Looking at the rimset in the 20' dish, there is no daylight around the perimeter at all. I'm just not sure if the rim has been pre-radiused or not. Should I chalk-it-up just in case...?

This is another Martin rimset (a 2nd?) that I've had for some time. You matched-up a Rwd back-plate for me & I'm finally getting to it.
Coach

Post by Coach »

tippie53 wrote:The modern bracing is higher and stiffer. The older vintage has the lower 2 braces wider and flatter. This lets the back get more involved in the voice of the guitar
John,
So the wider, flatter braces allow the back be more responsive? Corrrect? I would think that's preferrable. So why the move away from that?
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

RH changes can cause things to go crazy , that is why Martin went away from it. I use the lower braces for vintage construction and high braces for contemporary builds. It can help add a layer of color to the tone of the guitar for sure
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc