Routing Binding and Purfling channels...

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Ben-Had

Re: Routing Binding and Purfling channels...

Post by Ben-Had »

I use the Zinsser and it is great for my purposes.
Tim Benware
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

that will work better than the regular bullseye products
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
David L

Post by David L »

I make several passes to achieve the desired width of channel only removing a little bit of material on each pass (kinda sneak up on it).

David L
Sunflash

Post by Sunflash »

Hey so I don't know if you have done your channels yet, but just wanted to give you some encouragement.
I just did mine last night and it went perfectly I couldn't ask for better I used a router set from stewmac then just had to set the hight.
I did some practice on a flat piece of marine grade plywood that I had left over to get the hight just right. Then I just free handed it and it went great, I had seem some jigs to help you do it right but really didn't have the time or stuff to build them
the photo is a photo I found online of the router I used, like I said went really good all that worry for nothing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

If you are buying at your local home improvement store, then this is what you want to get. Make sure it says 100% wax free.

I too am confused about the shellac thing. The picture you showed is sanding sealer but you mentioned shellac to prevent chip out. Now Im even more confused. Will this sand off after your done routing?
Alain

Post by   »

Sanding sealer and shellac are pretty much one and the same.

tommy
glenklein

Post by glenklein »

I too am confused about the shellac thing. The picture you showed is sanding sealer but you mentioned shellac to prevent chip out. Now Im even more confused. Will this sand off after your done routing?
hummingbird,

Yes - it will sand off.

In my case, I ended up not putting the shellac down first before routing. I did make sure to use a brand new bit for the top purfling channels though. I used the climb cutting method and didn't have any problems.

I did use the shellac after though - to help keep the CA glue from wicking into my spruce top when I glued on the bindings and purfling. If you go to my blog (link below), you can see the shellac around the outer edge in the picture with the green tape. It easily sands off when you're ready.

Glen
Follow my first build...
http://glenklein.blogspot.com/