Stewmac Kit. Should I accept this?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
bnjp

Re: Stewmac Kit. Should I accept this?

Post by bnjp »

I got the replacement b/s woods today. They are perfectly sanded, but aren't very pretty in my opinion. The old set with the saw marks are on the left, and the new is on the right. Is it normal for the raw wood to look so "green?" The first set has a lot of red & brown in it. The new is Green/gray/black. Anybody got an example of a guitar built with light green rosewood I could see?

Bryan :)
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Stew mac and LMI are good companies . Glad things worked out so well for you
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Sadly, that is the state of most Indian Rosewood these days. If you want really dark stuff you have to pay a premium for it.

I guess it's due to the fact that most of it is plantation grown.

I built a guitar with a similar set a couple of years ago, and it's fine. Under finish, once it gets some depth it will look a lot better.

Here is a side view. This has Catalyzed Poly sprayed by Joe White. I don't have a view of the bank handy.
cj-side.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My poorly maintained "Blog"
bnjp

Post by bnjp »

That looks great Jim. Thanks. I don't really care about it being dark so much, I just don't want to build a green guitar. If it browns up a little with finish (as in your photo) it'll be great.

EDIT: I wiped down one side with a damp rag to try and simulate what it'll look like with finish. If it looks like this, I'll be VERY happy!

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

I've never tried it, but depending on your binding and purfling scheme, you might be able to darken it up a shade or two with some stain.

Honestly, though, I think you'll be quite happy with the result. Focus your energy on the construction. If you do a good quality job, paying close attention to the details and fit and finish, the rest will take care of itself. =)
My poorly maintained "Blog"
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I think you will find the EIR will look good under finish. After some fresh sanding, the color should be inhanced too. I doubt it will look green at all....never seen any green in EIR...perhaps a little greyish color.

Kevin
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Joe does do nice work. He says he will be here at the open house. He is a great guy and a good sense of humor.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
bnjp

Post by bnjp »

tippie53 wrote:Joe does do nice work. He says he will be here at the open house. He is a great guy and a good sense of humor.
Is Joe "Getgo" from the Acoustic Guitar Forum? I've seen some of his finishing. And yes, he's a great guy.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

bnjp, I like that set of EIR........I like that stripey look. My last guitar had an EIR back that looked similar and I think it looks great under finish. I used an amber tinted pore filler and it doesn't have a grey or green look at all.
Slacker......
bnjp

Post by bnjp »

Darryl Young wrote:bnjp, I like that set of EIR........I like that stripey look. My last guitar had an EIR back that looked similar and I think it looks great under finish. I used an amber tinted pore filler and it doesn't have a grey or green look at all.
Thanks! I'm pretty excited now that I see that it'll brown up a little. I was worried cause it looked green out of the box. Amber tinted pore filler? Wow...I've got a lot to learn! Can't wait to get started.