New thread on neck angle set

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
johnnparchem

Re: New thread on neck angle set

Post by johnnparchem »

You neck set looks good to me. Having the slight fall off on the body is OK, some say desirable.
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

johnnparchem wrote:You neck set looks good to me. Having the slight fall off on the body is OK, some say desirable.
That wold be close enough for me as well. Then I would proceed as follows:

1. Contour the top of your saddle to the radius of your fretboard (16?). I keep the treble side .5/64th below the apex (between strings 3 & 4, keep the apex as close to the top of the saddle as possible) and the bass side .5 /64th above the apex. In that way once you set your saddle height in relation to the 12th fret the high E is 1/64th lower the than the low E (I set my action at 4/64th for high E and 5/64th at the low E – different folks like different action, I like mine fairly low)
2. String it up to full pitch (next I adjust neck, nut, saddle – always in that order).
3. Adjust the truss rod (neck relief) to around .006 to .010, your flavor.
4. Adjust the nut for proper height over the first fret – there are a couple ways to do this and I think the discussion was had recently (you’ll get good playability if you shoot for e .015, B .017, G .019, D .021, A .023, E .025 – others will tell you different decide for yourself)
5. Adjust the saddle. Measure the 12th fret height; decide what you want it to be. As an example – say it’s at 6/64th on the high e and you want it at 4/64th then there is a difference of 2/64th. To lower it 2/64th you must remove 4/64th (or 2/32nd) from the bottom of the saddle. If you’ve done everything correct you will now have 4/64th at the high e and 5/64th at the low E (remember you built that in when contouring the saddle top).

And that’s how I do it.
Tim Benware
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

David,
You are really close there. The fall off over the body at the end of the fretboard is perfect. It looks like you have enough bridge thickness there to sand off about 1/32", and you will be good to go.
I took a bridge down just a couple of months ago this way. Tape some poster board around the bridge to protect the top, put some 80 grit paper on a sanding block, mark the front side of the bridge down 1/32" and start sanding. When you get close, change grits until you are down to 320 or 400 grit, and you will be good to go. This will allow you some room on your saddle height for your action.
You will get it right, and then go get yourself some guitar lessons. :>)

Kevin