filling rosette edge gaps

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
digrox

filling rosette edge gaps

Post by digrox »

Hi all-- I've been reading the board for a few months, and recently started building a 0000/M kit from KMG. Glued in the rosette a couple of days ago, and the BWBWB purfling went in nice and tight, but the the herringbone rosette ended up a little gapped in places (maybe I should've used more Duco when gluing, so the gaps would not have been there in the first place?).
P1030928.jpg
I know others have had this problem, and I've seen the suggestion to fill the gaps with spruce dust mixed with diluted white glue (LMI or Elmer's) or mixed with some sort of sealer, but I've also seen that spruce dust won't finish out to be the same color as the rest of the top. So I'm wondering if generating sawdust from only the black part of some leftover purfling, then mixing that with diluted white glue, might be a good way to go.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: filling rosette edge gaps

Post by tippie53 »

The black may not be a bad idea. I use dust and shellac to fill voids on the top . This makes a less noticeable fill than dust and glue
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
digrox

Post by digrox »

Thanks, John. Would the preferred method be 1) to pack the black dust in the gaps, then add shellac on top, letting it absorb into the packed dust, or 2) make a shellac-dust paste and then pack that into the gaps?
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

let the dust set in and drop in shellac or lacquer.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com