Clamping Problem

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
rgogo65

Clamping Problem

Post by rgogo65 »

I realize this is probably just a question for John Hall, but feel I must not be the ONLY one who has a problem with clamping the neck and tail blocks around the snap clamps on John's molds can John or someone shed some light here?
I can't find any reference...(Oops..I just realized, maybe I AM the only dummy...Ok..well, I jut won't look in the mirror for a while...come to think of it, I haven't done that for a while EITHER...sheeeesh, may I should just go back to bed.)

Thanks for any help or ideas guys.

Ray (:>)8>
JRHall

Re: Clamping Problem

Post by JRHall »

Due to seeing a lot of folks gluing up the rim as you described, I posted this thread a couple of months ago:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2565

I hope it helps to explain a simpler method.
If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

I agree with Rick, once the joint center lines are established there is no reason the sides cannot be glued to the blocks outside the mold. Note that a poorly bent rim does not improve after the blocks are installed. So the key is to establish joint lines, while the sides are clamped against the mold. Also I highly recommend pinning the sides to the blocks to help keep them in the proper location -- wet glue is a great lubricant so these pins will make life a bit easier. Here's a strategy that works well:

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/rim.html
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Jim's link will do you fine. I do tape the side together and lay wide tape so that I can fold it over while in the mold then clamp outside the mold .
As stated as long as you get things to the center and square you will be fine.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

Thanks for the prompt and quality replies Guys, now I just need to get my two brain cells wrapped around the concept and we are off and running!

Ray (:>)8>