Western red cedar kerfing ?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Coach

Western red cedar kerfing ?

Post by Coach »

Hey. Am working on gathering the needed parts for my first kit. Got a lot of western red cedar left over from a previous project.

I notice most kits have spruce kerfing, so am wondering if using western red cedar kerfing would affect sound quality in any manner at all.

Am going to use second grade rosewood back and sides instead first grade. Should I reconsider that?
tippie53

Re: Western red cedar kerfing ?

Post by tippie53 »

I think you will find over time that the kerfing is not a big influence to the tone . This is mostly a glue surface to attach the top. As long as you don't go to extremes on the size .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Nice and dry is the key -- almost any wood can be used including hardwoods. Spanish Cedar seems to be the fave right now -- in the past it was Honduran Mahogany but ($$$). I suggest that you make a sample to see which direction works bests for the kerf cuts. I usually cut my blanks on the slab, with the cuts perpendicular -- seems to prevent cracking and is easier to bend.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Wood grading is a crap shoot -- I now use a higher (at the dock) grade Rosewood than just a year ago to make sure I get the appearance characteristics to meet our standards. Also note that 30 years ago wood that was not cut on the 1/4 was considered a lesser quality, now just about all the Brazilian Rosewood and many of the exotics are only available slab cut and at best riff sawn. So if you are worried about sound quality -- don't fret (pardon the pun) the instrument will sound OK if properly constructed. As for appearance -- "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" many makers like the more wild grain patterns. So if the material is structurally sound and properly dried you should be just fine.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

On the subject of kerfing....I have about 100' of Luan mahogany flooring...approximately 3/4" x 5". I would love to use some of this for linings (possibly even solid) as it is not good for much else (I am using it for end blocks). It is hard to tell, but it appears to be quarter sawn.
What direction should I cut it so it will bend the easiest and not break the easiest????

Kevin
Coach

Post by Coach »

So cedar kerfing is fine - great! What I'm after is top notch tone, looks are not that important.

Now, considering i'm on a budget, what or where do you guys suggest i spend? So I understand you need a quality sound board. How about 2nd grade back and sides? What else do I need to consider in terms of if affecting tone (other than the builder of course)?
darren

Post by darren »

2nd grade back and sides are ok, they are usually just marked down for cosmetics. I'm using a 2nd grade EIR set right now - it came with some crazy orange stripes but I managed to make sure they fell out of the pattern. It was mostly in the sides. If you can't see the actual set before you buy it, be prepared. I was a little shocked at the orange in my set.

I've used 2nd quality koa as well and other than some 'character' it was a beautiful set.
Darren