Inane Question

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
David L

Inane Question

Post by David L »

How come the words "top" and "back" are used instead of "top" and "bottom" or "back" and "front"?

David L
tippie53

Re: Inane Question

Post by tippie53 »

Good questions . I guess tradition
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Yes it is. I was reading something the other day and the article referred to the front of the guitar and I really had to stop and think about what they were saying.
Tim Benware
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Don't take this wrong, Tony - but it ALMOST sounds like you made that up. :-(

But then, I'm still reeling from RD's excoriating flensing of my ego, my wordlview, and any hope of heaven I had treasured, by pointing out my hurried misspelling of the word 'rigid' in an earlier post. Ridgid. At least the way I spelled it, there is no confusion that the 'g' is pronounced correctly - not 'g' as in 'rig' but a full-throated, full frontal 'G', by crackey.
I am a pathetic loser who tries to cover up his mistakes with humor and sophistry instead of accepting the truth in the harsh light of day. Well, no more: today i grow up and confess: I intentionally misspelled 'rigid' so that....well, that doesn't matter....:-)
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Their meetings remind me of times we had the inlaws over for dinner. It was bad. The dogs left the room BEFORE we sat to dine - they had learned, harshly, the potential damage to their nasal faculties. There was so much gas passed that we started naming the various farts, starting with the letter 'a' and using women's names; that particular evolved into using men's names, and finally to using body parts , a-z. That was a little tougher.

Ken you are so right. I realy doged a bulette there.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Yep, you're right - plus, the spell checker is not context sensitive. I almost got in trouble when I emailed a friend saying that so and so was a real hard pecker. I meant 'picker', and the stupid computer did not catch it. That was a defiant mistake.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Maybe. Could be he's a hard packer, or a herd pucker (?) too..
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

You guys have too much time on your hands so you need to all get back to work!

It is called the "Top" because that is what it is before it is glued to the rims. It is not the "Front" of anything by itself. Of course, it could be called the lid also, at least before it is glued on. Once it is glued on, it becomes the "Front" of the guitar.
It is called the "Back" because that is what it is before it is glued to the rims, or, well perhaps it will be the bottom on the inside, but it is still the back on the outside, after that, well, it is still called the "Back" because "Bottom" sounds ridiculous!
See, it is quite easily figured out.
I figured this out by myself cause I am feeling really smart at the moment.

Kevin

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

and yes, I did sign my last post twice because I wanted to make sure you all give me credit for my wonderful summation!

Kevin
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

Don't underestimate the importance of capitalizing also. I once read somewhere that someone had to explain how they had to help their older Uncle Jack off his horse after not capitalizing. Rather disturbing without capitals.
kyle