What about Ambrosia Maple?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
mjmeehan

What about Ambrosia Maple?

Post by mjmeehan »

I love the look of this wood... I'm discouraged by the holes in it.
Has anyone ever used it to build an instrument? I have to think that the holes would present some structural or tonal problems, but what do I know? (not much, that's why I'm asking)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: What about Ambrosia Maple?

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I have a set waiting to become a dred. I'm going to pore fill, probably with dark brown, the holes, and go for it. It should not effect the sound from what I know. No structual issues, the holes/channels are very shallow/small. I think it looks pretty cool. I plan on using EIR bindings with black purfling lines. The rosette will be the maple.
Gee, I didn't even know I had this all planned out in my head until just now!

Kevin
mjmeehan

Post by mjmeehan »

Glad to help!

I'm very curious to see/ hear how the fill goes. Maybe you can post a pic of your results?
PiedmontSlim

Post by PiedmontSlim »

I have a bunch of rough stock that I'm getting ready to re-saw. I'm having issues with the saw fence at the moment. I don't think that the holes will be an issue.
mjmeehan

Post by mjmeehan »

That's fantastic. Would really like to see some of it once it's cut. (hint, hint!)
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

I have some really nice black limba back and sides with orange streaking that I believe comes from some worms that bore into the wood. The worm holes are pin sized and I plan to fill them with some toothpick sized slivers of wood, snip them off with dykes, and proceed to build.
Brazilian rosewood is known for having worm holes in it and I dont think it slows anyone down when they come across them.