Mortise and tenon

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
deadedith

Mortise and tenon

Post by deadedith »

Best way to adjust a m+t neck angle? File down cheeks or shim the tenon? Or something else?
Thanks
Jim_H

Re: Mortise and tenon

Post by Jim_H »

I guess it depends? Im guessing the neck cheeks are flush against the side of the guitar?

I'd start with flossing the cheeks until you get the angle you want. if the tenon is also seated against the neck block, it might need some adjustment too?
My poorly maintained "Blog"
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

The cheeks are what make the adjustments to the relationship of the body.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

It's not my guitar, I just need to pass on some info, thought it might be a good topic for discussion.
If we put aside humidity, neck relief, truss rod problem, bridge height, saddle height and like that, theoretically, and just concentrate on the m+t, what would be the first thing to try?
Thanks Jim, the answer has to be one of those things.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Thanks John.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Even with MT a re-set is a last resort The good news is that you usually make an adjustment without prying the fingerboard extension off the sound-board. If you can get the joint loose at the body the check angle can be change by sliding sand paper between the neck and the body -- this works only if the neck needs to be tilted back away from the top. Nine times out of ten this is the case. All that said I would not venture a guess at corrective action without seeing some really, really good pictures -- more then likely I'd have to have the instrument in hand. Repairing a guitar is not the same as "correcting" an assembly problem.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I'm just going to stay away from it and refer him to an experienced tech. Warranty and all that...
Thanks Ken
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I'm not real clear on this. I do the flossing thing to even out any irregularities between the cheeks and the body. However, to change the neck angle, not so much. I've attached a pic, everything's exaggerated for clarity - I drew a red line - is that what we try to accomplish?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

when you are flossing, you have to put a small amount of pressure on the neck in the direction you want it to move, so you are removing material from one area. Same thing applies if you need to adjust side to side.

What kind of guitar is this? Is the neck off of it already?

Pics or it didn't happen! :p
My poorly maintained "Blog"
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

But unless you floss a new angle you haven't accomplished anything. That's why my cheesy red line was drawn as it was. My cat agrees :-)
The aim is to keep the cheek line a straight line, but sand an angle into it? Sounds tricky to me.

Jim - sorry, read your post too late. Thanks.