Can you assess this?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
kencierp

Re: Can you assess this?

Post by kencierp »

The primary purpose of the finger braces is to prevent cracks --- some makers, I believe Steve Kline is one that believes all braces are to prevent cracks --- Roger Siminoff as a result of his actual tests/experiments believes that the peaks on braces is a waste of time.

Build it light and don't be afraid to experiment with string gauges and brands -- mixed sets, can bring to life a disappointing guitar -- Loyalty to a certain brand and gauge strings, in my view is a lost opportunity, custom string sets are far more effective then shaving this or that brace. $.02
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

kencierp wrote:The primary purpose of the finger braces is to prevent cracks --- some makers, I believe Steve Kline is one that believes all braces are to prevent cracks --- Roger Siminoff as a result of his actual tests/experiments believes that the peaks on braces is a waste of time.
I don't put a lot of faith in everything said by Siminoff. I assumed he knew what he was talking about after reading one of his books. Some of it disagrees with what I've since learned from Al Carruth and read in some recent posts on the OLF made by Trevor Gore.
Slacker......
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Yep its a crap shoot -- "we believe what we want to believe" -- Siminoff has his book/s, instruments, his fixtures and his documents - pretty compelling. However, in the end any person skilled in "Statistical Process Control" would quickly dispel any and all their theories -- and they would be reduced to opinions. That's exactly what happened to Kasha's work. And that's OK and part of the fun and mystical aura of guitar making and "selling"
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Check out Trevor Gore's new design and build books. A lot of science there, not just opinion. Check out his credentials. Here is a link providing some background to the book. The books are now available.

http://www.goreguitars.com.au/main/page ... tails.html
Slacker......
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

He (Gore) is in no danger of me copying his "falcate" bracing!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

deadedith wrote:He (Gore) is in no danger of me copying his "falcate" bracing!
He is in danger of me buying his books! I doubt I live long enough to experiment with his bracing......but who knows!
Slacker......
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

I would buy them, but i'm currently prioritizing my funds towards building guitars. =) Not only that, but I doubt I would understand most of it anyway (based on reviews I've read)...

Seriously though, I've read and read and read everything I can get my hands on regarding what other people know (or think they know) about what makes guitars sound good.

I think I've gotten to the point where I'm not going to learn anything new until I get a few, or more likely, a few dozen more guitars under my belt. I need some tactile context to apply all of this scholastic data to...
My poorly maintained "Blog"
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Wonder if Wayne Henderson will ever make one like that? John Hall what do you think?
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I would like to read them as well. Let me know what you think about them, Darryl, once you read them.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I finished reading the Trevor's first book and am part way through the second. I really really like the first book, it is the most comprehensive book on how the design parameters for each component affect the performance of a guitar that I have read.
The book presents several different simulation models for an acoustic guitar, each with more complexity aimed at answering different questions. The physics and the math behind the model are very clearly laid out at the level of a physics text book. At least the first half of the book is this description of the model of the guitar he uses and correlations between his model and real world guitars.
The rest of the book goes through the major components in a guitar and can show how changes to these components relate to changes in the modeled characteristics of the guitar. Although he presents a math based model his conclusions are not really different the what I believe experienced luthiers have internalized.

The book sure helps me think about the effects of top thickness, couple vs. uncoupled backs, how wood characteristics affect the guitar and why.

The book requires a good memory of algebra and physics and some calculus to really understand the model. Luckily I just got both my son and daughter through calculus and physics. He does summarize the results of the model at the end of each section in normal English.