Question about bridgeplate, neck block...

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Fleetwood

Question about bridgeplate, neck block...

Post by Fleetwood »

Got a couple of questions about my new kit here guys. Thanks for any advice...

1. The neck block stands a little proud of the sides on both sides. Is this the way I need to glue it up? Or should it be proud on only one side, etc?

2. The bridgeplate, when lined up in the marks that were plotted on the top does not touch the x-braces. Is this correct, or does the bridgeplate need to contact the x-braces?

Thanks everybody!
tippie53

Re: Question about bridgeplate, neck block...

Post by tippie53 »

on 000s it is not uncommon for the plates to be off the X's and yes the blocks should be a touch proud so you can sand them true to the sides.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

How far is the front of the "X" joint from the sound hole? What scale length? Seems to me the pattern was drawn slightly off location -- this is the first time I have ever read this particular question. The question usually is, do you tuck the plate into the "X" or butt it? How much too short is the plate?
Fleetwood

Post by Fleetwood »

Thanks John and Ken. It is a dreadnaught and the top of the plate, when placed in the marked lines, is exactly 3 inches below the bottom of the soundhole. Also, there is a 1/4 inch gap between the sides of the plate and the x braces on each side. What do ya'll think.
David L

Post by David L »

Some pictures would be really helpful right about now.

David L
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

on a dred the plate will touch the X braces . The plate can be figured to where it belongs by laying out your fretboard. Set the 14th fret to the position of the edge of the body and from the nut along the center line make a mark at 25.4 . From this point , that is an approximate location of the saddle. You should have about 1/8 inch forward of that is the leading edge of the plate.
It is possible that a 000 plate may have been placed in the bracing pack.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Here's the deal -- something is wrong with your kit -- get it resolved before you start gluing stuff -- pictures and dims I requested above will be helpful.
Fleetwood

Post by Fleetwood »

Well I've been measuring all morning. I laid out the scale like you suggested John and the marks that are scribed on the top where the bridgeplate should go are perfect. When I lay the bridgeplate on those marks, the sides of the bidgeplate DO NOT touch the x braces. There is a 1/4 inch gap between the side of the bridgeplate and the side of the x brace. I'm looking for my camera now so I can stick a photo up here.
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Sounds like you received a bridge plate that is too small.
My poorly maintained "Blog"
Woody OKeefe

Post by Woody OKeefe »

Normally the bridge plate is rectangular and you cut to fit. +1 for getting a new bridge plate.