First post..first dumb question

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
pwhite

First post..first dumb question

Post by pwhite »

Hello my name is Paul and I am just starting to get interested in building acoustics. I have built a couple of kit electrics and am currently finishing a scratch explorer build and about half way through a LP scratch. I have been woodworking since I was a youngster.
My first question would be that I see a lot of D-28 and other Martin builds and older Gibson models but, has or does anyone ever build Hummingbirds or Doves? I love Martin acoustics but I would also like to see other highend Gibson replicas, so has anyone built one? Thanks, Paul
tippie53

Re: First post..first dumb question

Post by tippie53 »

not many gibson parts are available . I have done a few kits based off the Gibson designs . Let us know what you need and email me tippie@epix.net we will see what we can do for you
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Hey Paul!

Welcome to the forum. Sorry about poking fun on your other post......I thought is was a scammer. I would love to see you build a Hummingbird!
Slacker......
pwhite

Post by pwhite »

Thanks for the welcome fellows, I really enjoy reading these forums, some of he talent of the people on them truely amazes me. I have been reading through some the build pots and there are some beautiful guitars being built here. I have not been working on any of my stuff lately but hope to start up again soon. I been working pretty much 2 jobs for the last month my second being doing repairs to my daughters new home and it's been rough. Very frustrating to repair a plumbing leak only to find structure damage, then move on to something else, building decks and this has been a very hot summer here in South Carolina.
I have a very diverse back ground, I have worked in all kinds of jobs, currently I work in IT a for the major hopital sytem in the area but I have been an electronics technician, a carpenter, a motorcycle mechanic, manufacturing mechanic.... all of my jobs have been using my hands. I guess I'm lucky for that, I work with guys who can't even change a flat tire. I have played guitar off and on for about 25 years, mostly off, I wish I had played consistantly because I would be much better than I am. Anyway enough rambling here is some pictures of my explorer. It is being sanded down to re-spray after my first finish mishap, to much nitro to soon caused bubbles to appear in the finish, but I know better now.
Last edited by pwhite on Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
pwhite

Post by pwhite »

And this is where the "magic" happens, mostly cheap harbor freight tools, a recycled dresser turned work bench and a bunch of dirt bike parts.
JRHall

Post by JRHall »

Hi Paul.

Where are you located, I'm in Columbia. If you're close, we could get together sometime.

What hospital system do you work for? I did Pyxis service all over SC for a couple of years.

Jim
If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
pwhite

Post by pwhite »

GHS, I started out as a contractor working for Computer Plus which does their hardware maintenance but got picked up by the EHR department. I am a Field Service tech for the EHR department now. I don't think they use pyxis they use omnicell different company right?
JRHall

Post by JRHall »

Is GHS Greenville Hospital System?
If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
pwhite

Post by pwhite »

Yes it is
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

All of my guitars will be Hummingbirds. :)
Alain