B/S color question

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
David L

Re: B/S color question

Post by David L »

I do not own one single can of stain, I like to let the beauty of the wood speak for itself (don't even go there Tony), but as others have stated, "to each his own".

David L
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Oh I am going there David. I too like the natural beauty of wood. I am against stain except for furniture and not all of the time.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I would leave it Darren, the purple streaks could look pretty cool under the finish.

Kevin
darren

Post by darren »

I think purple could look cool too... just not with the color scheme I have laid out for this guitar. Purple EIR and maple bindings would be nice, Purple and brown, not so nice, IMHO.
Darren
David L

Post by David L »

You do have a point Darren, I used black plastic binding on my EIR Dread because I was too chicken too use white because of the horror stories I heard about the purple EIR dust becoming embeded into the white binding and the problems of getting it out and blah, blah, blah, anyway, although it does not look bad, the black binding does get lost in the EIR sides, practically no contrast at all, should have went with the white bindings. Have you thought about maybe changing the bindings instead of changing the color of the B&S?

David L
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

The EIR will begin to loose its purple hue within a couple of weeks if left out in a room for regular light to see it. If you want a quick change, definitely leave it in the sun a few days before finsih coating. Keep in mind, the spruce will darken during this time too, unless you cover it or face it down. I wouldn't worry about it. A year from when you finish it, it will be a dark, rich, coffee brown with no purple at all.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
darren

Post by darren »

David L wrote: Have you thought about maybe changing the bindings instead of changing the color of the B&S?

David L
I maybe a bit OCD... once I start a project with everything set in my mind I don't feel right changing it...

you do have a point though. :)

Anyway the sides have mellowed out quite a bit - I'll see what they look like after sanding/truing up the rims, post bending. We'll see if the color comes back. Thanks for all the replies guys.
Darren