Domestic Guitar

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
David L

Domestic Guitar

Post by David L »

Since I am a beginner I qualify to post in this section. Somewhere down the line on my guitar bucket list I would like to build a 100% domestic wood guitar, no exotics. This does not seem to be a problem until I get to the fretboard and bridge. Maple has the required characteristics for a fretboard but because it is so light in color it seems that it would get dirty and grubby relatively quickly, yuk. Walnut is also a good candidate and is dark colored but it is very open-grained and that could cause it's own set of problems. Is there another type of domestic wood that could be used that doesn't possess these undesireable traits, or could walnut be treated in some type of way as to make the open grain a non-issue, pore filling or something to that effect?

David L
tippie53

Re: Domestic Guitar

Post by tippie53 »

There are a number of domestics that are used . Top and backs are the easy part fretboards can be Maple , Osage orange , persimmon , black locust . these woods will do that job . Necks can be most any wood , walnut , basswood , Poplar , just to name a few .
Bridges can be osage orange , Persimon , those would be the best choices but I am sure you will hear from others.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Black Walnut is a good choice for finger-boards and for that matter just about an part of the instrument. Take care when selecting domestic materials -- know your supplier, make sure it has been properly dried, avoid slab cut wood (unless for laminated necks) -- if it is used for backs, sides, tops (all Walnut guitars are really nice!) should be 1/4 to riff sawn -- more quartered the better. I think Cherry is stunning as well as some Birch. Interesting this has come up KMG is planning an "All American" series of kits.
David L

Post by David L »

Another wood that I thought about is desert ironwood (for fretboard) although it grows in northern Meico it is also found in southwestern U.S.A. The drawbacks are that it is very heavy and very hard but I have seen some beautiful examples of it. It is harvested from trees that have been felled for up to a hundred years so it is well seasoned. I have been reluctant to use it (in non-guitar applications) due to the denseness and hardness it can wreak havoc on tools, dulling them very quickly, but I have not ruled out using it. Any thoughts?

David L
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Personally I'll leave Ironwood for others --

The Black Walnut we use is from Michigan and is certainly no more open grain than East Indian Rosewood -- I see that as a non-issue. When we were producing Mountain Dulcimers and "all wood banjos" (yes all wood) Black Walnut was our finger-board material of choice. Walnut finger-boards sealed with Minwax finishing wax look great and feel very slick. Ovation uses Walnut for their bridges and I am not positive but I think for fingerboards (dyed black) as well on some models.
David L

Post by David L »

Tanks for the input Ken!

David L

Post by   »

David L wrote:Maple has the required characteristics for a fretboard but because it is so light in color it seems that it would get dirty and grubby relatively quickly, yuk.

David L
Maple is used frequently in electrics as fretboard. There are many spray coats built up on the fretboard so it is well protected. Would this be a viable option for an acoustic?
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Persimmon dyed black or Osage Orange would be my first picks for fretboards. Probably Osage Orange would be my first pick for a bridge as it is dense and very low dampening. OO might be my first choice for a back and sides as well if I were wanting a rosewood sounding guitar. For something closer to a Mahogany sounding guitar, you could use walnut or cherry (speculation on the cherry as I've never head one in person so basing this opinion on the density of the wood). Oregon Myrtle would also be another nice choice of back and side wood that probably falls in the mahogany sounding class and it can be found in very nice looking sets with figure.
Slacker......
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

I like the idea, and have toyed with a design or two myself. I have a few others to finish first, but its on my list. As far as fingerboard alternatives, I am using tulipwood for a fingerboard on the Macacuba, if I ever finish the damn thing. The tulipwood is a wild looking pink wood, at least the sample I got, though the description online likens it more to the greenish polar. It is very strong, very interesting stuff. Close-grained, I'll shoot a foto of it and post it. Should make for a very cool fingerboard.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
David L

Post by David L »

Tulipwood is gorgeous, I have used it as trim on some projects, however it is an exotic, not domestic.

David L