Domestic Guitar

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
kencierp

Re: Domestic Guitar

Post by kencierp »

I believe the Tulip wood comes from the Yellow Poplar and those grow all over the USA. (very fine grain purple, pink, red, black patterns) My wood guy is drying some for me now. Perhaps there is an exotic version as well?
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I'd like to do an all-Oregon instrument. Port Orford cedar top, black walnut b+s etc. In fact when I build that Mattola instrument, I believe I will do the all Oregon thing on it.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Excellent idea!!

Is Port Orford -- Yellow Cedar/Yellow Cypress?
David L

Post by David L »

Yes Ken, now that you mention it, I vaguely recall hearing about that wood (my bad). The tulipwood that I was refering to/familiar with is a true rosewood (Dalbergia Decipularis) grown mostly in Brazil. Creamy off-white with dark pinkish streaking. The tree rarely exceeds 20' in height, more shrublike. Due to it's small nature 6" wide finished lumber is a rarety, 2" to 4" is most common, expensive, expensive, expensive, but quite beautiful.

David L
darren

Post by darren »

I think Breedlove did an Myrtlewood and PO Cedar 'Northwest' model a few years back.

I think it'd look great bound in walnut.
Darren
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Yes, close to Alaska Yellow Cedar. From Stewmac:
Similar in appearance and scent to Alaskan Yellow Cedar, Port Orford Cedar is stiffer, lighter and thus more suitable for soundboards. Indeed, it is highly sought after for the bold, robust, responsive tone that it imparts on an instrument. It is very even textured, with a slight golden-white color and tight, even grain. A great advantage to the builder is that this wood is more immune to splitting than absolutely any other soundboard wood.

Maybe Myrtlewood for B+s:

Myrtle is easier to bend than other Western woods like
Big Leaf Maple. It has nice bright tap toneand projects well. Colors range drastically even in the same log so that a
range from golden yellow, green, black, brown, tan,
and violet can exist. Each set is unique, making each
guitar a one of a kind. Flame or fiddleback is a rare quality
that few sets posses.

Myrtlewood is renowned throughout the Pacific Northwest for its excellent machining and finishing properties as well as its beautiful color, spicy aroma, and figure. Also known as Bay Laurel, California Olive, Pepper wood, or Spice tree wood, this versatile hardwood grows only in Oregon and Northernmost California.
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

Here's the Wikipedia on Tulipwood:

For other uses, see Tulipwood (disambiguation).

Brazilian tulipwood
Most commonly, tulipwood is the yellowish greenish wood yielded from the tuliptree, found on the Eastern side of North America and also in some parts of China. In the United States, it is commonly known as tulip poplar or yellow poplar, even though the tree is not related to the poplars. In fact, the reference to poplar is a result of the tree's height, which can exceed 100 feet. The wood is very light, around 490kg per cubic meter[1], but very strong and is used in many applications, including furniture, joinery and moldings. It can also be stained very easily and is often used as a low-cost alternative to walnut and cherry in furniture and doors.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
David L

Post by David L »

Thanks for the link Tommyboy, I dug up this piece from my woodpile, a true rosewood (note the Dalbergia designation) and not related to anything that grows in the U.S.

David L
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post by   »

That would make some might nice knife scales.