Best resource?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.

Best resource?

Post by   »

OK, I'll get the new Board rolling. For you veteran kit builders, what would you say was your most helpful resource when you were starting out? A specific book or books? A certain website? A particular video, dvd or dvd set? Did you attend a guitar building class? Thanks.

tb
mjmeehan

Re: Best resource?

Post by mjmeehan »

When I started I made a Stewmac kit and found their DVD to be very helpful. Since I had no experience whatsoever it was helpful for me to see the steps rather than read about them.
Since then I refer to KenCierp's website, kennethmichaelguitars.com and his instructions there. A little different take and he is a great resource. As well as everyone here.

Best of luck.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Bill Cory's book is what spurned me on to build. I found the DVD by Robbie Obrien as extremely helpful. If you purchase a kit from LMI using their wizard, you can get the DVD for free.

Kevin
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Online forums. Didn't have a DVD. I did have Bill Cory's book and it was a help as well. Youtube videos and John's and Ken's websites helped. A phone call or 3 to John was a big help as well.
Slacker......
David L

Post by David L »

First, let me say that I'm not a veteran at anything (well maybe some things but I wouldn't consider them assets) so perhaps I'm not qualified to answer your question but that wouldn't be any fun, so I'm going to answer it anyway.
When I ordered my kit I had not found this forum, in fact to let you know just how computer illiterate I am, I didn't even know what a forum was. I was fortunate to have stumbled accross this forum before I took delivery of my kit
Before I started building I tried to sop up as much information as I could through various resources mostly via the internet. I found a lot of you tube videos by various authors covering many different procedures, some I found to be quite helpful, others quite confusing.
Fianances would not allow me to take a course, which I really wanted to do. I did not buy Bill Cory's book but I probably experience disadvantages for not having done so, nor have I purchased any other lutherie related literature.
Now, having said all of that, I find that my #1 resource for assistance in my guitar building endevours is Kit Guitars Forum!!! (hands down, bar none). I absolutely could not have built a guitar without this forum. I have checked out other forums and have found that they are more oriented to guitars in general and that building is more of an off-shoot and not the main objective.
Now for my soap box (yes I can hear the groans), whenever a person posts about getting into guitar building I always try to steer them to one of our sponsors for thier purchase(s). There are many reasons for this, here they are and I'm not putting them in any kind of order of importance. #1) Quality, absolutely top rate stuff. #2) Customer service, the first thing that these big companys do is take away your name and give you a number. Our sponsors tend to be smallish mom & pop operations and deal with thier customers on a more personable level. Accessibility, I have frequently needed technical advice/information on week-ends (when a lot of us hobbyists do a lot of building) and I must say that I always get a prompt response whether it's through email, telephone or this forum. Try getting that from the major companys. While we're on the subject of customer service (of our sponsors I have had business dealings with John-Blues Creek, Kevin-Waldron instruments, and Bob Cef- RC Tonewoods) these guys are very easy to deal with, they never seem like they don't have enough time to talk to the little fishes, They make me feel like I don't just represent a $ bill to them. #3) I don't have an MBA or any other degree for that matter (well I do have a BS but it's not one you need college for) seems to me that if I was in business and I put money in advertising in a certain place and I didn't see any returns (sales) from it, logically I would discontinue that advertising. Not knowing a lot about forums, I'm quite sure that there are operating costs to keep them going and that the sponsors advertising fees help to cover these costs, so in a round-a-bout way, whenever I make a purchase from one of our sponsors a small piece of the money I spend with them gets rolled back into this forum. #4) At least a couple of our sponsors spend countless hours on this forum, giving (free of cost to us) of thier experience and I feel that they do this for the genuine love of this hobby and not because they are trying to enlist customers and although gaining a sale or two from this I feel is a side effect and not the primary incentive. They help everyone no matter where they purchased thier materials.
One more point and then I'll get off my soap box, promise, having said all of that I'm not going to lie and say that I haven't purchased products from non-KGF sponsors, but I always look here first.

I want to thank everyone who participates on this forum for helping me, from the brand new beginner to the seasoned pro and everyone else who falls somewhere in-between. Just in case you couldn't tell, I am very passionate when it comes to this subject!

David L
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

thanks to all that posted .
I am here to help. and other also pitch in to aid newbies. I know I can name all involved it doling out advice but we try to be friendly . Ask and we will tell you what we think. We may not always agree but we try not to get disagreeable .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com