Very first time building a kit acoustic. So many questions.

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
sixesandsevens

Very first time building a kit acoustic. So many questions.

Post by sixesandsevens »

Hi all!

I'm getting ready to start my first kit built acoustic, and one of the things I keep seeing in YouTube videos is that experienced luthiers almost unanimously say that the most important thing is building a lot of guitars. Having learned a few things in my life, that advice is almost universal, so I have no reason to believe it's wrong here.

About how long does it typically take to put a kit together?

Is it worth starting with finishes that are less labor-intensive so that you can build more guitars?

As you get closer and closer to scratch built, does it make sense to skip some things like rosette and binding to spend more time on things like bracing and shaping?

And assuming more than a few things that I build will end up firewood, should I be using any particular kinds of woods in order to avoid stressing supplies of valuable tone wood that might turn into good instruments during my first few attempts?

My very first guitar will be a bodybuilt kit from Stewmac since it seemed like the safest bet, but as I spend more time building I'm sure I will move closer and closer to scratch built and custom forms.

Thanks!
MaineGeezer

Re: Very first time building a kit acoustic. So many questions.

Post by MaineGeezer »

The only way I could ever get through a guitar build was to ignore how long it was taking and just work on it and do the best job I could. Impatience will doom you.

For each guitar I built, there generally came a time when I was ready to take an axe to it...but eventually I recognized that was just a phase of how I worked, and I was able to complete them all.

A good finish is a LOT of work. Finishing can't be hurried. I've tried, with unimpressive results.

You don't need to spend a lot of money on rare exotic Yub-Yub wood that grows only at a monastary in Tibet to get a nice guitar. with good tone. A lot of the high price is for beautiful grain and color. A lot of domestic woods make great guitars, and you're not plundering the rainforest.

Don't get ahead of yourself. You're right -- nobody builds just one guitar, but build the first one before you worry about the second one, or the tenth one.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I totally disagree with what you saw on YouTube.

The most important thing is for you to take your time. Learn. Have fun and enjoyment while you're building. This isn't a race. If you end up building a lot, that's great. But, if you go into this with the mindset of racing through builds, you'll be very disappointed in the results.

Guitars are built in stages. You have to go in order. It takes time, and patience is s virtue. I can build a guitar (without finish) in around a week I think, but I've never timed myself. I'm also an experienced builder. When building my first guitar, it took a week just to set the neck. Everyone works at their own pace. Ditch the clock.

Use the finish that you decide you want to use. I french polish shellac, almost exclusively, which is most labor intensive. Finishing is a whole separate topic than building. Even with an easy to apply finish, you need to prep the guitar. Don't rush.

Don't skip things. As you get closer to scratch building, you can start designing your own build. Rosettes and bindings serve a purpose other than beauty.

There are a lot of tonewoods. You're wise to avoid the costly woods in the beginning. Don't go into it with the mindset that you'll fail. Every instrument I've built are alive and well. I sold my first build. I've made plenty of mistakes. Mistakes are learning experiences.

I bought the wood for my guitar #2 from a local lumber company. I found the most beautiful cherry I've ever seen from them. It was hiding near the rafters of their storage building. It was very old and they didn't know it existed. There are lots of beautiful tonewoods grown domestically.

Please relax. Again, building isn't a race. You'll learn a lot more by taking you're time. I hope you enjoy building.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

think things through
where did you get the kit and see if they provide support because not all kits are the same
Blues Creek videos on you tube can help show thing for you
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
jread

Post by jread »

That whole, "you have to build 20 to get good" thing is crapola. Sure things take experience, sure skills improve with practice. But there's no reason your 1st guitar can't be your best. Mistakes happen, random issues occur, you might get lucky or unlucky. With patience and planning every build can be great or even if you just build one, it can be a treasure that lasts generations.

I've built over 25 and I'd say that some are better than others but that's just me judging some cosmetic issues. They all are good guitars. I just had a professional musician tell me yesterday that he thinks the one he's been playing is my best guitar. It was one of my 1st builds. He's been writing songs and taking it to the studio, playing it live. What better compliment is that! That's what fires me up the most. Having them be played.

To answer some of your questions: "how long" is really dependent on how much you have to learn. A kit will take a lot of shop prep away as you won't need to bend the sides, thin and join the back/top, carve a neck, etc. A kit can come together pretty quickly. Check out Robbie O'Brien's videos. He has a class where they build kits in 5 days including french polish! That's nuts. My 1st kit took me several months. My 1st scratch builds took nearly a year. That was only because I was learning every step, practicing on scrap, ordering tools and parts, etc. I built a body and then had zero clues how to make a neck. Those 1st necks took a few months. Now I can make a neck from scratch in a couple of days and taking my time but working regularly, I can do a full build in 2-3 months. That's just me. Also, don't cheap out on materials thinking you can build better later. I mean, don't make a guitar from poor quality wood. There are plenty of affordable tone woods that make great guitars.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

What jread said. There is no reason your first guitar can't be one to be proud of. Read through the "Show it Off" and "Blog Your Project" forums to get a feel for what others have done, especially other first-time builders. You can do it too, although you may (like a lot us) do some things twice...or three times...or four times. (You don't need to tell your friends about those times when you're showing them thew guitar!)_
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
jread

Post by jread »

MaineGeezer wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:47 pm (You don't need to tell your friends about those times when you're showing them thew guitar!)_
It's an illness all we see are the faults.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

alot is on the support , but there is no reason you can't have a good guitar. One piece of advice is get a mold not that cardboard cutout. Take your time with the instruction with the kit.
take the time and understand each step of the process. Also don't mix a lot of builder advice as not all kits are the same, there are many techniques. So my best advice TAKE YOUR TIME. Ask a lot of questions. contact StewMac and ask their support. Good luck Took me about 4 guitars to get a saleable product
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
sixesandsevens

Post by sixesandsevens »

Thank you all for the wisdom and support! I'll check out the resources you mentioned above and I'll try to swallow my pride if I have questions.

For what it's worth, I don't think those videos were trying to suggest rushing, but rather that (1) skill is built through repetition and (2) there's no substitute for practice.

At a bare minimum, it'll take forever if I don't start, so I'm making a workspace in the basement to get started this weekend.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

You may be assured that whatever mistakes you may make, we've all done things equally as stupid, if not more so. Don't be embarrassed about asking anything.