1ST TIMER---Side bending Mahogany..

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Bark_Man

1ST TIMER---Side bending Mahogany..

Post by Bark_Man »

Im a boat builder so familiar with bending other species alot thicker (mostly green white oak) but not this thin guitar wood. First time at bending Mahogany. The piece I bought was 1.125X18"X72." Problem is not sure of the species. I know its old growth, not sure if kiln or air dried. Its just off 1/4 sawn which I understand is better for bending(no buckling). Im at .080 +\- now using a Gibson l-00 build plan from "GenOne Luthier Supplies". Im getting some mixed info in regard to certain species of Mahogany liking\not liking water (it buckles) so not sure of the approach. Leaning towards buying the heat blanket for which I was hoping to no do. In difficult Mahogany (if thats the case\species) Iron or steam for a first time bender? Ive watched the Blues Creek guitar videos and others on this but I guess the main variable for me from success is knowing the species. Ive attached a few pics. I have my thoughts already, hoping you might as well and they align. Odd to me that the yard where this was purchased was not sure either.

Take a peek, Im curious what you'all think....
Appreciate your thoughts!

BarkMan!
carld05

Re: 1ST TIMER---Side bending Mahogany..

Post by carld05 »

Pics don't show up. Might not be able to attach them on your first post.