My Other Glue Question - Tempurature

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
TimYA

My Other Glue Question - Tempurature

Post by TimYA »

On Titebond's Website they say about Titebond Original "For best results use at temp over 50 degrees F."
However, on the back of the bottle that I have it does not say "exactly" that. It says, "Use when temperature, glue and materials are above 50'F."

One department at Titebond says "best results" and the other one down the hall says must be used at 50 and over.
Some will say I'm splitting hairs. Yet my shop is in Northern CA. Not Northern CA as in "I left my saw in San Francisco," but if my parking brake slips I'll be fined in Oregon. For a week it has been 48 on the dot, and my shop is not connected to the house.

How many experts with experience with Titebond Original would have looked at that temp needle stuck on 48F, and knowing the moisture we have up here, would have told the crew to stay home? My problem is this. In my head after reading the website, "best results" happen over 50F, but the glue will still work fine at 48F. A scuba tank rated for 200 BAR will net detonate if the pressure raises to 215 BAR.

My point is that neither their website nor the back of the bottle says "Titebond Original WILL NOT WORK BELOW 50F."
When I was a kid growing up in Malibu we were told "If you find a landmine washed up on the beach, DO NOT GO NEAR IT."

I don't find Titebond's directions to be very scientific. Related to this, how many don't build guitars in the winter?
Many Japanese bow builders just don't glue anything in the winter on principle.

Respectfully,
Timothy
Diane Kauffmds

Re: My Other Glue Question - Tempurature

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I think you're okay at 48, but it doesn't hurt to test. Glue a couple of small scraps together and test.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com