Very first time building a kit acoustic. So many questions.

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
jread

Re: Very first time building a kit acoustic. So many questions.

Post by jread »

Mr. John Hall has never used this forum to encourage people to buy his products so I'll do it for him. John's molds, templates, tools, and fixtures are all are A-#1. You can't go wrong with anything from Bluescreek Guitars. They are an investment but well worth it as he's put a lifetime of experience into their designs and gives tireless personal support when needed. I highly recommend looking into his website for whatever you need to get going or give him a call.
sixesandsevens

Post by sixesandsevens »

jread wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:53 pm Mr. John Hall has never used this forum to encourage people to buy his products so I'll do it for him. John's molds, templates, tools, and fixtures are all are A-#1. You can't go wrong with anything from Bluescreek Guitars. They are an investment but well worth it as he's put a lifetime of experience into their designs and gives tireless personal support when needed. I highly recommend looking into his website for whatever you need to get going or give him a call.
Thanks. I actually found this forum after I bought my kit (Stewmac, body-built kit). But assuming this goes well and I want to move into more kits, Blues Creek will be my first stop when I am shopping next time.

Edit: typo
Last edited by sixesandsevens on Thu May 02, 2024 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

You’ve gotten some really much I can add. I think starting with the body build kit is a smart move unless you are an experienced woodworker. Those kits can result in a nice guitar.
The most intimidating part will likely be fitting the neck. My first 4 or 5 guitars were from StewMac kits. In my opinion, their instructions on the neck fitting are lacking a little. My advice is to study John’s videos on neck setting, neck planes and fretboard installing. If you can, use sanding blocks on the tendon and neck cheeks. Sand paper is much more forgiving than chisels. A chisel is good for creating the relief along the tendon, but, can get away from you when making fine adjustments to the neck angle, centerline, and elevation (ACE). IMHO 😂
Wishing you the best of luck.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Don't worry. We'll get you through your builds. Repetition is great, except that every guitar is different. You can have wood from the same billet, and it'll act differently. Actually it's the unknown and problem solving that keeps me on my toes.

Every guitar teaches me something.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

thanks for the kind words.
A little history
This forum was started by Bill Cory , I bought this from him along with RC Tone woods and Kevin Waldron. I am now the sole owner.
The goal has always been
INFORMATION
as other forums get ego posters that is something we don't have , people are good at being honest and helpful here. Them main Admins are Diane and John,
NEVER was this for commercial venue for Blues Creek but a place where people can get good information.

So remember we are here to help
Diane and John do such a good job I can just do what I need to .
Please use this place for the information and share what you learned, even mistake are great to share.
Thank you all for your participation
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
sixesandsevens

Post by sixesandsevens »

BlindBo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:26 am You’ve gotten some really much I can add. I think starting with the body build kit is a smart move unless you are an experienced woodworker. Those kits can result in a nice guitar.
The most intimidating part will likely be fitting the neck. My first 4 or 5 guitars were from StewMac kits. In my opinion, their instructions on the neck fitting are lacking a little. My advice is to study John’s videos on neck setting, neck planes and fretboard installing. If you can, use sanding blocks on the tendon and neck cheeks. Sand paper is much more forgiving than chisels. A chisel is good for creating the relief along the tendon, but, can get away from you when making fine adjustments to the neck angle, centerline, and elevation (ACE). IMHO 😂
Thanks! I'll take that to heart. I weighed the pros and cons of the body-built kit for a while. If they'd had it in bolt-on I would have done it in a heartbeat, but with everyone's help I'm committed to getting it done.

I was actually looking at a used guitar the other day and caught myself thinking "welp, after finishing the kit I'll have a fighting chance at a neck reset.". :)

In other news, have you all seen the price of a back and sides set from "The Tree"? Stew Mac has some and yikes!
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

YES!
Spectacular looking wood and rare but.......
Only for a rich man.
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:54 pm YES!
Spectacular looking wood and rare but.......
Only for a rich man.
And a good side bender, not sure what the proper reaction would be if a sharp cracking sound came out of the bender.
Last edited by BEJ on Fri May 03, 2024 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

Sixes, I was bending some yesterday and this morning. Follow John’s process and temps and you should be OK. “Crack” is not a sound I think iwant to hear coming from my bender!😂😂
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

sixesandsevens wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:21 pm
BlindBo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:26 am You’ve gotten some really much I can add. I think starting with the body build kit is a smart move unless you are an experienced woodworker. Those kits can result in a nice guitar.
Thanks! I'll take that to heart. I weighed the pros and cons of the body-built kit for a while. If they'd had it in bolt-on I would have done it in a heartbeat, but with everyone's help I'm committed to getting it done.

I was actually looking at a used guitar the other day and caught myself thinking "welp, after finishing the kit I'll have a fighting chance at a neck reset.". :)

In other news, have you all seen the price of a back and sides set from "The Tree"? Stew Mac has some and yikes!
The Tree is legendary. I've read that they're actually "those trees" and that there's a small Grove of highly figured Honduran mahogany.

I bought this set a few years ago from ebay. It isn't from "The Tree", but it's highly figured Honduran Mahogany. Who knows where this Honduran mahogany originated, but it's as close to "The Tree" as I'll ever get. Frankly, I'd rather spend the thousands on a lot of great sounding woods of various types, than on a single set.

If you keep you're eyes open, great woods can be found at lower prices.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com