Bending Wenge

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
UNCLEANDREW_17

Bending Wenge

Post by UNCLEANDREW_17 »

has anyone had any experience working with Wenge? I just purchased some Wenge for my next build and I am concerned about bending the sides. The wood seems very stiff, and I read that it is known for cracking.
How thin does it need to be and at what temperature should I bend at. I am using a Blues Creek bending machine.
Any help would be appreciated as I am fairly new to this.

Thanks
Andy Gradall
tippie53

Re: Bending Wenge

Post by tippie53 »

I use windex with ammonia ( a natural cell softener) I also use wet paper so
slat wet paper wood wet paper slat blanket on top
start lower bout bend at 240F upper at 250F then waist allow to heat to 300 325 F
then hold at 250f for about 10 min

thickness to .075in
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

My only experience with wenge is doing a tenor uke which I cut out of a scrap I was given. It may not have been the best tonewood but the grain seemed straight. I did find a crack in one end of a side and glued that with CA, and it bent okay after gluing (using the same steps John just described). It seems very brittle and splintery so watch for cracks starting. And when you get the thing together, be prepared for a LOT of pore filling if you are aiming for a gloss finish. It's very rich-looking when finished. It's the dark one in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=9249

Bruce W.
UNCLEANDREW_17

Post by UNCLEANDREW_17 »

thanks for your help. those are some beautiful looking instruments. Hope mine turns out half as nice.
I won't have a chance to try bending for a week or so. this is only my third attempt at building from scratch
so any help is appreciated. the tap tone on this Wenge is incredible.