Question about X braces and Shoulder braces

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Question about X braces and Shoulder braces

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

lonecedar959 wrote:Thanks Everyone

I am going to make another transverse brace and replace it and do it right.

Last time I tried to remove a brace from the top it caused some issues that I don't want to go through again.

I'm learning.

-Pat
It's all a learning process. Depending on the glue you used, heat and/or moisture will loosen the brace without much of an issue. Titebond Original, fish glue, and hide glue will soften with heat.

I've removed braces using a hair dryer, on hot, aimed at the bottom of the brace. A flat, flexible, metal spatula, like one used to ice cakes, will slip under. Start at one end, and slowly work your way to the other. You can even aim that hot air at the metal spatula, which in turn, heats the spatula, which will loosen the brace. Take your time. The brace will come off cleanly, without damaging the top.

Make sure you clean every speck of glue from the top, before gluing the new brace. You're doing the right thing by replacing it.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

another technique that is easy is use safety razors and tap them under the brace and as they lift follow with more. The more work I have to do inside a guitar the more creative I become
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
lonecedar959

Post by lonecedar959 »

Thanks Diane and John - I may try that but I am posting pictures of the transverse brace on both ends.

What about gluing some kerf pieces over the ends of that brace?

Or - just replace it?

I know the glue needs to be cleaned up - its fish glue - I have not glued the top on yet.

Thanks

-Pat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Yes, You can chisel out the remaining kerflings under the transverse brace and glue a larger piece on the sides that will supports your transverse brace. You can make it a taller deeper version of the kerfed lining shape. Make it the width of the brace and deep enough where it meets the brace such that it will extend over the brace 1/4" or so. The side brace supporting the transverse brace should taper to almost nothing at the opposite end.

edited as Dianne showed me that my reply was not clear.
Last edited by johnnparchem on Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Pat

"I know the glue needs to be cleaned up - its fish glue - I have not glued the top on yet."

The same 1933 L-00 that I mentioned above has the same glue residue inside, and it is close to the best sounding guitar I have aver heard.

Ed
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

When johnnparchem says that the brace should taper to nothing at the end, he means your new piece, not the transverse.

I thought I would clarify that.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com