Nylon Strings on Steel String Acoustic?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Diane Kauffmds

Nylon Strings on Steel String Acoustic?

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Sorry, another inane question.

We all know that you don't put steel strings on a guitar meant for nylon strings. But, I've read conflicting information about whether you can put nylon strings on a steel string guitar. I've been told that the neck on a steel string guitar will bend convex, because their necks are made to counter the higher tension of steel strings; when the steel strings are replaced with nylon, that tension is leased, therefore changing the neck relief.

I've always wondered why the truss rod couldn't be adjusted to accommodate nylon strings. Now, I found these on the D'Addario site: http://www.daddario.com/DADProductFamil ... amilyid=32

Also, some classical guitar manufacturers use truss rods in the necks of their guitars. If a nylon string guitar has a truss rod, why can't steel strings be used?

Can a guitar be made to accommodate both types of strings?

Thanks.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
johnnparchem

Re: Nylon Strings on Steel String Acoustic?

Post by johnnparchem »

You can put nylon strings on a SS, it will not sound very good as the guitars is way over braced for nylon strings. The neck will not do anything funny. You may need to raise the saddle as the nylon strings move more when they are vibrating.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the issue is the top. Many classicals use a very thin top that would be underbraced for steel. The braces are also too light.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
JLT

Post by JLT »

Many classical guitars do indeed have truss rods, but they aren't adjustable.

I've played a few steel-string guitars fitted with nylon strings and agree that they don't have the punch and frequency response that steel strings would have. Some people like to put them on when they're just started learning to play, since the strings are easier on their fingers. Once they've got something in the way of calluses, though, they transition to extra-light steel, and then light, and then wherever they want to be. As johnnparchem noted, the saddle and/or nut may have to be shimmed a little, but this is completely reversible when the change back to steel is made. Usually, the existing nut works just fine, because the thicker nylon string isn't going to want to settle completely into the slot, so it sits higher than a steel string would.)

When I was last in Lake Havasu City, Arizona, I met a busker who went the other way, using steel strings on a classical guitar. I was going to tell him all the things he was doing wrong, but I found out that he was doing them deliberately. For one thing, he tuned the strings down a half-note to reduce tension. And he fully expected the guitar (which he bought for $50) to blow up after a year, as had all the other cheap guitars he'd bought over the years. But he considered it a worthwhile expense. What he liked was the volume he could get out of the guitar, which is a real asset for a busker who has to compete with street noises. "It beats having to carry around an amp," he said, "and if the cops chase me off, it makes the getaway easier." I couldn't argue with that!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

JLT wrote:Many classical guitars do indeed have truss rods, but they aren't adjustable.

I've played a few steel-string guitars fitted with nylon strings and agree that they don't have the punch and frequency response that steel strings would have. Some people like to put them on when they're just started learning to play, since the strings are easier on their fingers. Once they've got something in the way of calluses, though, they transition to extra-light steel, and then light, and then wherever they want to be. As johnnparchem noted, the saddle and/or nut may have to be shimmed a little, but this is completely reversible when the change back to steel is made. Usually, the existing nut works just fine, because the thicker nylon string isn't going to want to settle completely into the slot, so it sits higher than a steel string would.)

When I was last in Lake Havasu City, Arizona, I met a busker who went the other way, using steel strings on a classical guitar. I was going to tell him all the things he was doing wrong, but I found out that he was doing them deliberately. For one thing, he tuned the strings down a half-note to reduce tension. And he fully expected the guitar (which he bought for $50) to blow up after a year, as had all the other cheap guitars he'd bought over the years. But he considered it a worthwhile expense. What he liked was the volume he could get out of the guitar, which is a real asset for a busker who has to compete with street noises. "It beats having to carry around an amp," he said, "and if the cops chase me off, it makes the getaway easier." I couldn't argue with that!
Both my Cordoba CE Limited Edition Koa and my La Patrie Etude, have adjustable truss rods. The Cordoba has a two way adjustable truss rod, but it's light weight. The LaPatrie also has a 2 way adjustable truss rod.

But, I know there are a lot of differences in manufacturers, and also with different products. Not all Cordoba guitars have truss rods.
Last edited by Diane Kauffmds on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

tippie53 wrote:the issue is the top. Many classicals use a very thin top that would be underbraced for steel. The braces are also too light.
Now I understand, and it makes sense.

The notion that nylon strings causing a lack of tension, that would result in the neck bending convex, never made sense to me. But, the lack of projection, due to top thickness and bracing, does.

Thanks
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
JLT

Post by JLT »

Diane Kauffmds wrote: Both my Cordoba CE Limited Edition Koa and my La Patrie Etude, have adjustable truss rods. The Cordoba has a two way adjustable truss rod, but it's light weight. The LaPatrie also has a 2 way adjustable truss rod.
I stand corrected! You obviously have higher quality classical guitars than I've had the pleasure to mess around with! I'll have to look for the telltale signs of an adjustable truss rod on the next classical instruments I meet.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

JLT wrote:
Diane Kauffmds wrote: Both my Cordoba CE Limited Edition Koa and my La Patrie Etude, have adjustable truss rods. The Cordoba has a two way adjustable truss rod, but it's light weight. The LaPatrie also has a 2 way adjustable truss rod.
I stand corrected! You obviously have higher quality classical guitars than I've had the pleasure to mess around with! I'll have to look for the telltale signs of an adjustable truss rod on the next classical instruments I meet.
I don't know that my instruments are higher quality than those you played; they're made by relatively newer companies that have incorporated truss rods into their designs. From what I've read, the really high quality classicals, made in the traditional Spanish tradition, have no truss rod at all. I've found that classical students and serious classical guitar players, don't necessarily like classical guitars with truss rods, and insist on traditional guitars. My step-daughter's classical, has no truss rod.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
maxim

Post by maxim »

Takamine classicals have adjustable truss rods.