nut and saddle heights

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Gerry

nut and saddle heights

Post by Gerry »

I have both E strings on the guitar and am trying to do the set-up. I cut slots for the strings so that approximately half the diameter of the string is below the top of the nut. The nut from the kit came with a radius that I have not adjusted.
Here are the measurements for where things sit.

Clearance of fret plane above bridge = 1/16"
Height of the e @ 12th fret = 7/64"(.109)
Height of the E @ 12th fret = 9/64"(.140)
Height of the e @ 1st fret = 4/64"(.060)
Height of E @ 1st fret = 5/64 (.078)

I checked the neck relief and that appears to be within the acceptable range at .005.

I know that the height at the nut is too great but I don't know how far to reduce it.
The saddle might also need to be reduced but I don't know by how much.
I have read a discussion of the "tink test". The strings are too far above the first fret to produce any "tink". I don't trust myself to use this approach since I have never seen it demonstrated.
Ideally, I'd like a set of measurements that I could use at the first fret. I've looked through past discussions but haven't yet found this.
I would appreciate if someone could provide this information or let me know if I am taking the wrong approach.

Thanks,
Gerry
tippie53

Re: nut and saddle heights

Post by tippie53 »

for the best end result here is what I learned
A once the guitar has the neck , level and dress the frets.
I take a straight edge off the 1st fret to the saddle and make a rough saddle with a clearance at the 1st string 12th fret 2/32 and on the 6th 3/32
The height of the string at the first fret is measured by fretting on the 2nd fret and checking the clearance on the 1st fret. I am looking at about .005 to .007
I will be doing a video on this soon to help.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

For the nut slot cut a pencil in half long-wise. With the cut portion down on at least the first and the second fret mark the nut. You can then saw and file slots down to the pencil line parallel to the head stock and you will be close but a little high. Fretting the second fret the string should just clear the first fret. If you tap where you would fret the first fret it should ping. Or you can measure that clearance as John suggested.

Basically the nut slot should be at the height the neck fret would be if it was not a nut.

For the saddle I put my fret board radius on the top of the saddle. I install it with the two E strings measure the heights and figure out how much of the saddle needs to removed at the E string locations to make it the correct height. Mark the bottom of the saddle with those two differences. Draw a line between the two measured points and sand it from the bottom to your line.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Gerry, I'm at the same point and found these instructions which are a variation on the flattened pencil technique.

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/String_ ... -1811.html

Mitch
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

that is a good illustration
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Thanks for the quick replies. I think I have enough information to move along.
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Thanks again for the help. I have my first guitar strung. Everything is where it should be and sounds like it should.
JLT

Post by JLT »

Frank Ford has a pretty good write-up on making nuts at his web site:

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier ... wnut1.html

frets.com is a real gold mine of information, if you haven't heard of it already.